Re: Print Plus Online --- cataloged or not? Platkowski, Melissa 25 Mar 2009 19:44 UTC

We have a link in the print record for all of our serials that says "Internet Links: Click here to check for an online version; scroll down to see what the Library has in print".

The link leads to our link resolver (we use Ex Libris's SFX), which manages access to all of our e-journals.  If there is no online version, they get a screen that leads them back to the catalog.  I think that's a little annoying, but there's no good workaround yet.  If they get to SFX, it will give them links for everything that we have that provides access to that journal.

At the cost of an annoying loop if there is no online version, I think this generic message is a lot less work than maintaining a link through both the catalog and a link resolver.

We also add a very basic e-resource holdings record.  We don't even put dates of coverage in there because they change so fast and there's no global update function to catch most of them, like SFX has.  I'm sure not many people bother to scroll down to see the e-resource record, though.  That's why the Internet Link message is right below the title when you search the catalog.  If you'd like a screen shot, let me know.

Melissa Platkowski

Electronic Resources Librarian
David A. Cofrin Library
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Dr.
Green Bay, WI  54311-7001
P: (920) 465-2764
F: (920) 465-2136

platkowm@uwgb.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Kathryn Johns-Masten
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:07 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Print Plus Online --- cataloged or not?

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice.   I'm wondering what others do about the online
access that comes "free" with a print journal subscription.

My inclination is to add the online to our serials solutions list and
not add it to our catalog.

If you do add it to your catalog----have you added the link on your
print record   or   have you added the online record from OCLC to your
catalog?

Thanks,
Kathryn

Kathryn Johns-Masten