Re: Questions to veteran serialists Stokes, Judith 05 Mar 2009 17:41 UTC

I am a real old veteran. Over 30 years in libraries, over 20 of those in serials.  Besides the fact that a library is a place where I can be learning all the time, the fact that the work is constantly changing helps keep me going. I have a reasonable amount of autonomy in my library, so I can make a difference by how I approach my work. Things that bring on the burnout are things I cannot influence effectively, like the decisions of our consortium that affect how we can provide access to our collections. Having insufficient acquisitions budgets can wear me down a bit, too, because this is not my first recession, but every time I have to oversee yet another cancellation project, I find creative approaches somehow, and wind up feeling good about minimizing the damage.

What I bring to work is a love of puzzles, especially word puzzles, and, of course, a love of reading -- magazines as well as books. What I get from it is some wonderful friends from among my colleagues.

Good luck with the project,
Judith Stokes
Serials/E-resources Librarian
Rhode Island College
600 Mount Pleasant Avenue
Providence, RI 02908-1991
401.456.8165

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Barbara Pope
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:59 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Questions to veteran serialists

I think from the beginning of when I was working as a volunteer at a
community library on a military base, I was interested in learning
everything.  Of course, that library did not have an online catalog at
the time, but I did anything and everything anyone would let me do.  I
guess what keeps me going is a combination of knowing I am doing
something worthwhile and that I get to learn something new every day in
the process.  The other thing is that when I have made a change that
results in greater access for patrons, I enjoy the impact that change
has.  It is satisfying knowing that I did something that makes
everything work better and easier to find.  I have only been working in
libraries for 12 years (about 4 years in serials), but I too also
checked in issues on a kardex when I was a practicum student.  I
remember thinking at the time that there ought to be an easier way to do
it, but it was still fun.  Saying something like that in front of my
non-library friends or family usually gets a confused look like "what is
wrong with you?"

Barbara Pope, MALS
Axe Library
Pittsburg State University