Re: partron-drive acquisitions T Thompson 05 Mar 2009 17:58 UTC

Steven,

We have a drink model, so to speak - a pay-per-search model.  It is only
with a few databases that we cannot afford to a full subscription, they
receive only a small amount of usage, but is important that we provide
access to them.  It is not our preferred method.

Tracey Thompson
Acquisitions Librarian
New Mexico State University Library
MSC 3475 P.O. Box 30006
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8006
(p) 575-646-8093
(f) 575-646-7477

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Steven Harris
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:20 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] partron-drive acquisitions

We've been doing lots of patron-driven acquisitions for books and ebooks.
Lately, I've been mulling over this concept for serials. I know there are
lots of vendors that offer a purchase on demand service: patrons have access
to what they need and the library pays on an article by article basis, by
the drink, as they say.

My mini survey: what patron-driven models are available for serial access?
Are you using a by the drink model or anything different? I'd love to hear
about it. Thanks.

Steven R. Harris
Director of Collections & Acquisitions
  Services