Binding questions (Kathi Jakubowski) Ercelawn, Ann 23 Apr 2009 16:36 UTC

Subject: Binding questions

From: Kathi Jakubowski <kathij@uwm.edu>

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:14:21 -0500

****Please respond directly to Kathi (kathij@uwm.edu ) per her request,
not to SERIALST. Thanks -- Ann

Hello,

We are a medium-sized academic library with approximately 3,000 active
periodical subscriptions. We would like to hear from other
comparably-sized institutions on how you are handling shrinking binding
budgets. Have you stopped binding some sturdier titles altogether and
simply send them to the general stacks labelled and barcoded? Have you
developed strategies to streamline binding processes and/or identify
costs (including staff costs) of commercial binding versus other
in-house methods? I'd like to hear from those of you in larger libraries
who have experienced this first-hand.

If you can help please e-mail me directly. I am happy to summarize for
the list the responses I receive.

Thank you.

Kathi Jakubowski

--