Re: electronic access question Susan Zappen 27 Apr 2009 16:52 UTC

We avoid them like the swine flu. We actually had a situation where
someone changed the password (maybe innocently or not) so no one else
could get in until I contacted the publisher....the publisher now allows
IP address authentication.

Susan Zappen
Associate College Librarian for Collections
Lucy Scribner Library
Skidmore College
815 North Broadway
Saratoga Springs NY 12866-1632
szappen@skidmore.edu
Phone: 518-580-5521
Fax:     518-580-5541

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Koontz, Sylvia
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 10:02 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] electronic access question

Good morning Collective Serials Wisdom,

I'm curious as to what other libraries are doing about access to
electronic serials that will not authenticate except through their own
username/password screens even if they are part of a larger database
such as EJS or NCLive (October and Film score monthly are two examples).
We'd rather not hand out usernames and passwords, nor does our Ref.
librarian want to have to type them in herself each time someone wants
to search these titles (as the publishers seem to think should happen).

Please copy any replies to me, as I'm on digest. Thank you in advance
for your insight!

Sylvia Koontz
Cataloguer
Semans Library