Re: Link Resolvers Sally Krash 07 Apr 2009 13:50 UTC

Jason,

We have used both products, first LinkSource, and now 360 Link. Both are good
products, in my opinion. But there is one big difference. EBSCO set up an article
request form for us, which sat on their server. When our researchers opened up the
LinkSource window, they always had an option to "Get this from the SwRI Library",
for content that we did not subscribe to. Clicking on this link opened up a form
with citation information already included, and our researchers just entered their
information and submitted the form, which went to our main desk. Serials Solutions
does not offer this. If you do not have ILLiad or some other resource that has an
existing form, you can only set up an email request. We have this set up, and it is
a pain. The email goes to our main desk, and only has the link to the 360 Link
window, not the citation information itself. If the email comes in as plain text,
instead of HTML, which happens about half the time, we have to stop and manipulate
the link to get it to work. (Plain text adds spaces, so we can't just copy and paste
the link into a browser.) Also, the user has to have an email program set up on
his/her computer. Since we changed link resolvers, we have seen a 23% decrease in
linking through the link resolver, which we attribute to this form issue. We are in
the process of implementing ILLiad, which has its own forms, so we hope this solves
our problem.

FYI - We made the switch from LinkSource to 360 Link because we changed subscription
agents.

Sally Krash
Electronic Resources Librarian
Southwest Research Institute