Re: title change? American journal of hospice & palliative care Steven C Shadle 08 Apr 2009 15:35 UTC

Hi Selina -- I think what you're referring to is in LCRI 21.2C

"For categories b)v) and b)vii), consider that there has been a major change if there is evidence that the publisher intentionally changed the title; such evidence may include, for example, a statement by the publisher or a new ISSN printed on the publication."

Note: this is currently only applied in b)v) (different order of titles in different languages) and b)vii) (two or more titles used in a regular pattern).

I think prior to the 2002 revision, this rule interpretation gave much more weight to a publisher's statement.  Currently, circumstantial evidence should only be applied to these two cases.  Now having said that, if I was able to verify ISSN assignment in the ISSN register and publisher's consistent use of that ISSN, I would more likely consider creating a successive record only because of the difficulties that systems have (ie, link resolvers, loaders) when ISSN assignments and serial records aren't in sync.

Steve Shadle/Serials Access Librarian  *****  shadle@u.washington.edu
University of Washington Libraries      ***     Phone: (206) 685-3983
Seattle, WA 98195-2900                   *        Fax: (206) 543-0854