Re: Wiley EAL license T Thompson 28 May 2009 14:19 UTC

Christine, love the reference!

I have passed this letter on to all of our faculty in the library.  I was
glad to see that we are not alone in our troubles.  Unfortunately, I don't
have the authority to take a similar stance though I am encouraging it.   We
are going to have to make cuts for our FY11 year.  I will strongly recommend
that we start with titles held by publishers that are not willing to work
with libraries.  The publishers are only hurting themselves with these
attitudes as the library is their biggest customer.  (Publishers, are you
listening?) Individuals or even college departments cannot afford the
six-figure subscriptions that we have.  We have a consortia arrangement for
our Wiley titles.  Every year, it is a nightmare.  Wiley is difficult to
work with and their system is confusing.  I would not shed a tear of remorse
if we were to drop every Wiley title.  (Also Elsevier for that matter)

Tracey Thompson
Acquisitions Librarian
New Mexico State University Library
MSC 3475 P.O. Box 30006