Commercial digest (7 messages) Bob Persing 19 Jun 2009 16:54 UTC

ABOUT THE COMMERCIAL DIGEST

SERIALST Commercial Digest pilot project: Since June 2008, the SERIALST
moderators have been experimenting with compiling and distributing a
Commercial Digest once a week, on Friday afternoons, with messages
containing informational content from commercial bodies (i.e.,
publishers, vendors, agents, etc.). The moderators review submitted
messages for informational content that may interest our subscribers. We
reserve the right to reject messages that are purely for advertising or
product/service solicitation, with little or no informational content
beyond the solicitation, as well as other content that are not within
the scope and purpose guidelines of SERIALST (see:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html)
<http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ebmaclenn/serialst.html%29>

If you have thoughts or feedback about the Commercial digest, or other
aspects of SERIALST, please let us hear from you. Contact information
for the SERIALST moderators is at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html#contacts
<http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ebmaclenn/serialst.html#contacts>

This week's digest contains 7 messages:

* AIP Partners with CLOCKSS
* AIP Signs On to TRANSFER Code of Practice
* Emerald partners with Portico
* Taylor & Francis and NISC, South Africa, announce co-publishing agreement
* Earthscan freezes all journal prices for 2010
* JSTOR/Portico Meetings at Annual
* Call for Papers: Cataloging & Classification Quarterly

------------
Message #1:

Subject: AIP Partners with CLOCKSS
From: "Bruce Shriver" <BSHRIVER@aip.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:15:22 -0400

[This message is cross-posted. Please pardon the duplication.]

AIP Partners with CLOCKSS to Digitally Archive
All of AIP's Electronically Published Material
Participation ensures perpetual access to AIP online content

Melville, NY, June 12, 2009 - The American Institute of Physics (AIP)
announced today that online versions of all its journals will soon
reside in the dark archive, CLOCKSS (Controlled Lots of Copies Keep
Stuff Safe), a joint venture by libraries and publishers committed to
ensuring long-term access to scholarly publications in digital format.
CLOCKSS will make AIP content freely available in the event that AIP is
no longer able to provide access.

“AIP has long been committed to digital archiving, formulating our first
policy statement on the subject more than 10 years ago,” said Tim
Ingoldsby, AIP’s Director of Strategic Initiatives and Publisher
Relations. “In the intervening years, we’ve been gratified when other
publishers have taken our framework as a model when fashioning their own
archiving policy.”

The CLOCKSS initiative was created in response to the growing concern
that digital content purchased by libraries may not always be available
due to discontinuation of an electronic journal or because of a
catastrophic event. CLOCKSS creates a secure, multi-site archive of
web-published content that can
be tapped into to provide ongoing access to researchers worldwide, free
of charge.

“Today, when over one half of all our subscriptions are online only, we
owe it to our customers more than ever to provide the best security
possible for
their electronic products, said Mark Cassar, AIP's Acting Publisher.
“Our nearly three-year-old partnership with Portico, and now our
participation in the CLOCKSS initiative, solidifies this commitment.”

CLOCKSS’ decentralized, geographically distributed preservation strategy
ensures that the digital assets of the global research community will
survive
intact. Additionally, it satisfies the demand for locally situated
archives with 15 archive nodes planned worldwide by 2010.

The American Institute of Physics is a federation of 10 physical science
societies representing more than 135,000 scientists, engineers, and
educators and is one of the world’s largest publishers of scientific
information in physics. Offering full-solution publishing services for
physics scientific societies and for similar organizations in science
and engineering, AIP pursues innovation in electronic publishing of
scholarly journals. AIP publishes its own 12 journals (many of which
have the highest impact factors in their category); two magazines,
including its flagship publication Physics Today; and the AIP Conference
Proceedings. Its online publishing platform Scitation hosts nearly two
million articles from more than 185 scholarly journals, and other
publications of 28 learned society publishers.

For more information, please contact:
Tim Ingoldsby
Phone: +1 516 576 2265
E-mail: tingoldsby@aip.org

-------------------
Message #2:

Subject: AIP Signs On to TRANSFER Code of Practice
From: "Bruce Shriver" <BSHRIVER@aip.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:42:21 -0400

[This message is cross-posted. Please pardon the duplication.]

AIP Signs On to TRANSFER Code of Practice
Institute endorses guidelines for moving online titles between publishers

Melville, NY, June 12, 2009 - The American Institute of Physics (AIP)
today announced its endorsement of the TRANSFER Code of Practice, a
consistent set of
guidelines to help publishers ensure that journal content remains easily
accessible by librarians and readers when there is a transfer between
parties. TRANSFER, established under the auspices of the UK Serials
Group, was developed by a collaborative working group comprised of
representatives from the scholarly publishing and library communities.

“AIP is completely committed to providing our subscribers with seamless,
uninterrupted access to our content,” said Tim Ingoldsby, AIP’s Director
of Strategic Initiatives and Publisher Relations. “We see the objectives
of the TRANSFER initiative as completely consistent with our own,
including ensuring perpetual access to our online journals and
conference proceedings - an issue we recently addressed through
archiving agreements with Portico and CLOCKSS.”

In structuring guidelines for Transfer, the working group drew upon
recent successful initiatives, including PALS, PA-JISC, and COUNTER’s
Code of Practice for online product usage information. AIP will be
compliant with COUNTER’s Release 3 when it goes into effect this August.

“We understand that when librarians need to make difficult acquisitions
decisions, especially in the present economic climate, they’re more
likely to choose a publisher that addresses their concerns,” said Terry
Hulbert, AIP’s Director of Business Development. “We hope our
participation in TRANSFER is a win/win situation - libraries benefitting
from minimal disruption during a transfer and publishers enjoying
reduced costs from having a standardized process in place.”

American Institute of Physics is a federation of 10 physical science
societies representing more than 135,000 scientists, engineers, and
educators and is one of the world’s largest publishers of scientific
information in physics. Offering full-solution publishing services for
scientific societies and for similar organizations in science and
engineering, AIP pursues innovation in electronic publishing of
scholarly journals. AIP publishes 12 journals (many of which have the
highest impact factors in their category); two magazines, including its
flagship publication Physics Today; and the AIP Conference Proceedings.
Its online publishing platform Scitation hosts nearly two million
articles from more than 185 scholarly journals and other publications of
28 learned society publishers.

For more information, please contact:
Tim Ingoldsby
Phone: +1 516 576 2265
E-mail: tingoldsby@aip.org

------------------
Message #3:

Subject: Emerald partners with Portico
From: "Janet Fisher" <jfisher@pcgplus.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:20:31 -0400

Emerald to preserve e-journals with Portico

United Kingdom, June 15, 2009- Emerald Group Publishing is pleased to
announce its recent agreement with Portico. Portico provides a service
to permanently preserve scholarly research in electronic form so that
this information will remain accessible to scholars in future years.

Portico will receive Emerald content via an electronic data feed, which
they will convert to a standardized archival format. They will maintain
and operate the archive on behalf of Emerald. Each new publication will
be added as and when published, with a view to archiving back issues in
the future.

This development will provide Emerald with security in the event of
potential loss and will provide Portico's participating libraries with
content if an incident occurs that causes the material to be
inaccessible from Emerald.

Emerald joins the growing list of publishers who have entrusted their
e-journals and e-books to the Portico archive.

Rebecca Marsh, Publishing Director for Emerald, comments, "Emerald
recognizes the importance of the long-term preservation of its content
to ensure that it is accessible to society at large in perpetuity,
whatever might happen in the future. Portico provides a permanent
archive of electronic journals and it is clear that a large number of
librarians value their service. Therefore, we are very pleased to be
partnering with Portico."

Eileen Fenton, Executive Director of Portico, noted that "We are so
pleased that Emerald now joins the hundreds of associations, societies
and publishers entrusting materials to the Portico archive. As reliance
upon electronic scholarly publications increases, so too does the
importance of reliable preservation partnerships and we are pleased to
work with the community to address this critical need."

A full list of e-journals and e-books committed to the Portico archive
is available at www.portico.org.

For further information about this agreement contact Holly Shukla,
Business Development Account manager, at hshukla@emeraldinsight.com

-ENDS-

About Portico
Portico, is a non-profit a digital preservation service for the
scholarly community (www.portico.org). Portico partners with publishers
and libraries to ensure that scholarly literature published in
electronic form remains accessible to future scholars, researchers, and
students.

About Emerald www.emeraldinsight.com

Established in 1967, Emerald Group Publishing is the world's leading
publisher of management research. In total, Emerald publishes over 700
titles, comprising 200 journals, over 300 books and more than 200 series
and serials as well as an extensive range of online products and
services. Emerald is both COUNTER and TRANSFER compliant. The
organization is a partner of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE)
and also works with Portico and the LOCKSS initiative for digital
archive preservation.
Emerald Management Plus is the largest, most comprehensive collection of
peer reviewed management journals and online support for students,
managers and researchers. With "Research you can use" as a publishing
philosophy, the collection provides scholarly research that is both
rigorous and relevant, with practical implications for professionals
outside the academic world. For busy managers in corporate, federal and
public organizations, Emerald Management First is an award-winning
online knowledge and information resource.

Contact

Arnaud Pellé
Corporate Communications Manager
Emerald Group Publishing Limited
Phone: +44 (0) 1274 777700
E-mail: apelle@emeraldinsight.com

------------------
Message #4:

Subject: Taylor & Francis and NISC, South Africa, announce co-publishing
agreement
From: Jennifer McMillan <jennifer.mcmillan@TANDF.CO.UK>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:58:51 -0400

With apologies for cross-posting

African research made easily available to an international audience

Taylor & Francis Group Announces Co-Publishing Agreement with NISC,
South Africa

Taylor & Francis Group today announced that it will be co-publishing 10
academic research journals with NISC of Grahamstown, South Africa under
its world famous Taylor & Francis and Routledge imprints.

For the first time all the NISC journals will be widely available to
purchase in international online and print, or in online-only editions.
Nine of the ten journals are ISI-ranked and all are fully accredited by
the South African Department of Education. Margaret Crampton, owner of
NISC said "We see this as an excellent opportunity to raise the
international profile of the NISC journals, further promoting access to
African scholarship."

Dr David Green, Global Publishing Director for Taylor & Francis Group
said, "This is an extremely exciting co-publishing partnership. Having
established a
journals editorial operation in our Johannesburg office two years ago,
and created a successful relationship with UNISA Press, Taylor & Francis
is proud
to have entered into this second co-publishing partnership with NISC and
its society partners. We are able to bring to the partnership global
sales and
marketing exposure, and a cutting edge online presence with the
informaworld platform. The NISC portfolio of journals is already
recognised for its quality
and excellent in editorial content and publishing standards, so this is
a wonderful marriage for all parties."

The incorporation of these 10 journals in the Taylor & Francis portfolio
brings the total number of journals available to subscribers to over
1400 in 2009.
The journals in the partnership are:
African Journal of AIDS Research
African Journal of Aquatic Science
African Journal of Marine Science
African Journal of Range & Forage Science
Journal of Child & Adolescent Mental Health
Journal of the Musical Arts in Africa
Ostrich: Journal of African Ornithology
Quaestiones Mathematicae
Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Southern Forests: a Journal of Forest Science

For further information on the journals please visit
www.tandf.co.uk/journals
For further information on NISC please visit www.nisc.co.za/journals

*******************************
Contact:
Shelley Benwell
Marketing Manager
Office: +44 (0)207 017 6000
Shelley.benwell@tandf.co.uk
Taylor & Francis Group, 4 Park Square, Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire,
OX14 4RN Taylor & Francis Group is a trading name of Informa UK Limited,
registered in England under no. 1072954
Web: http://www.tandf.co.uk

NISC Contact:
Mike Schramm
Publishing and Operations Manager
NISC (Pty) Ltd
1 Dundas Street, Grahamstown, 6139
PO Box 377, Grahamstown, 6140, South Africa
Tel: +27 (0)46 622 9698 x24
Fax: +27 (0)46 622 9550
Email: mike@nisc.co.za
Web: http://www.nisc.co.za

-------------------
Message #5:

Subject: Earthscan freezes all journal prices for 2010
From: "Laura Cox" <laura.cox@frontlinegms.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:19:58 +0100

London, 18 June 2009. In response to the current recession and library
budget difficulties, and with recognition of the growing importance wide
dissemination of research on sustainability, Earthscan is freezing
journal prices for 2010.

The price freeze applies globally, and will be in place for all 2010
subscriptions, both individual and institutional as of June 2009.

This applies to all of Earthscan’s journals:

· Advances in Building Energy Research
· Architectural Engineering and Design Management
· Architectural Science Review
· Climate and Development
· Climate Policy
· Environmental Hazards
· Intelligent Buildings International
· The International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability
· Studies in Conservation

Veruschka Selbach, Head of Sales and Marketing at Earthscan said: “We
felt that it was important to respond to the difficulties that libraries
are facing in the current economic climate. We hope that this price
freeze will enable libraries to continue to provide access to Earthscan
and other content in the ever important environmental and sustainability
arena.”

About Earthscan

Earthscan is the world's leading publisher on environment, development
and sustainability. It has been operating for over 20 years and focuses
on demonstrating how integral environmental issues are to social and
economic development. Earthscan publishes around 100 new books a year
alongside its expanding journals programme.

For more information on Earthscan and to receive information about 2010
prices, please contact:

Emma Barnes
Earthscan
Dunstan House
14a St Cross Street
London, EC1N 8XA
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7841 1930
emma.barnes@earthscan.co.uk
www.earthscanjournals.com

------------------
Message #6:

Subject: JSTOR/Portico Meetings at Annual
From: David Fritsch <david.fritsch@PORTICO.ORG>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:39:32 -0400
Apologies for cross-posting.

Dear Colleagues -

Please plan to join us for the Portico and JSTOR Participants' Meetings
at the ALA Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL.

Full agendas will be sent as the dates draw closer. In the meantime, we
hope that you will mark your calendars and plan to attend. If you have any
questions or would like to RSVP, please send an email to events@ithaka.org.

Portico Participants' Meeting
July 11, 2009
8-10 am
Hyatt Regency Chicago

JSTOR Participants' Meeting
July 12, 2009
8-10 am
Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers

Please also plan to stop by the JSTOR | Portico booth # 2855 McCormick
Place West July 11-14, 2009
JSTOR & Portico staff will be available to answer questions about both
services.

---------------
Message #7:

From: Bill Cohen (bcohen7719@aol.com)
Subject: Call for Papers
Date: 6/18/2009 5:43 PM

Call for Papers....

Cataloging & Classification Quarterly

CCQ welcomes the submission of research, theory, and practice papers
relevant to the broad field of bibliographic organization.

This journal, published now 8 times a year by Taylor & Francis, LLC, is
respected as an international forum that emphasizes research and review
articles, description of new programs and technologies relevant to
cataloging and classification, and considered speculative articles on
improved methods of bibliographic control for the future.

Articles are particularly welcome in areas dealing with research-based
cataloging practice, including user behavior, user needs and benefits.
Authors are encouraged to submit manuscripts via email with attached
word document to the Editor, Sandra K. Roe, Bibliographic Services
Librarian, Illinois State University (email: skroe@ilstu.edu).

Special Issues
Colleagues interested in guest editing a special issue or expanded
double issue are invited to contact the Editor with a general proposal,
tentative schedule, and CVs. Previous special issues have included:

*Metadata and Open Access Repositories (Michael Babinec and Holly
Mercer, Guest Editors)

*Bibliographic Database Quality (Jeffrey Beall and Stephen Hearn, Guest
Editors)

*The Intellectual and Professional World of Cataloging (Qiang Jin, Guest
Editor)

*Knitting the Semantic Web (Jane Greenberg and Eva Méndez, Guest Editor)

*Cataloger, Editor and Scholar: Essays in Honor of Ruth C. Carter
(Robert Holley, Guest Editor)

Annual Best Paper Award
Taylor & Francis sponsors an annual prize for CCQ with a small financial
stipend for the Best Paper of the Year.

Free Print Sample
A free print specimen copy may be obtained by sending an email to
<Marisa.starr@taylorandfrancis.com>

For More Details
Further details may be found at the CCQ home page:
http://catalogingandclassificationquarterly.com/