ALA Annual Program - TS Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group (Linda Lomker) Bob Persing 24 Jun 2009 20:14 UTC

From: Linda Lomker (l-lomk@umn.edu)
Subject: ALA Annual Program - TS Managers in Academic Libraries Interest
Group
Date: 6/24/09 4:02 PM

Topic: Restructuring Tech Services in Lean Times: the Long-Term Impacts
of Budget Cuts on the Future of Technical Services

Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group will
meet Saturday, July 11 from 8-10 AM, in the Chicago Hilton, Room
Northwest 3.

With the downturn of the economy, and the resulting budget cuts to our
libraries, Technical Services is seeing less materials ordered,
received, cataloged, bound, labeled. There is less work and in many
cases, less staff. Library managers have passed from crisis management
mode to a need for thinking about long-term changes that include
dramatically different approaches to our work. Please join other
Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries as we discuss these
changes among small groups in a round-table setting.

Table topics include:

How to increase sharing across institutions
How to support development efforts
How to redeploy staff to cover vacancies
How to maximize efficiency
How to establish our continuing role

Please note: we are the former “Medium Heads” with a new name and a new
meeting time. We welcome those who have an interest in technical
services management in college and university libraries, with no rules
about who is “medium-sized” or who is an “administrator”. We hope you
can join us for an interesting discussion.

We will also hold elections for a new chair of the group.

Roberta Winjum, Chair
Associate Dean, Technical Services
Vanderbilt University Library
419 21st Ave. South