Re: collection development policy for microfilm titles Stokes, Judith 30 Jul 2009 22:57 UTC

We decide about back-files in two steps: (1) how long will we care? (we happen to care about having American news and opinion magazines a hundred years from now, for example, but not about having science journals more than 25 years old), and (2) how secure is the online back-file? (ranging from JSTOR to commercial publishers who grant permanent access to subscribed years and backup their collections on Portico). If we care about keeping it, then we don't rely on the online version unless we know we have permanent rights and the publisher is backing up on some cooperatively supported archive. If we bind print, then we don't buy microfilm.

Good luck,
Judith Stokes
Serials/E-Resources Librarian
Rhode Island College

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Lenis McBride [lenis.mcbride@GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:59 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] collection development policy for microfilm titles

Hi,

We are considering whether or not to continue microfilm subscriptions to titles relevant to our doctoral programs where we have an online or print+online subscription.

I would love to hear about the criteria others have used to make a decision.

Please feel free to contact me off list.

Sincerely,

Lenis McBride
Interim Serials Librarian
J.F. Drake Memorial Learning Resources Center
Alabama A&M University
Normal, AL  35762
lenis.mcbride@aamu.edu<mailto:lenis.mcbride@aamu.edu>