Commercial digest (5 messages) Bob Persing 10 Jul 2009 16:52 UTC

ABOUT THE COMMERCIAL DIGEST

Since June 2008, the SERIALST moderators have been distributing a Commercial Digest once a week, on Friday afternoons, with messages containing informational content from commercial bodies (i.e., publishers, vendors, agents, etc.). The moderators review submitted messages for informational content that may interest our subscribers.

We reserve the right to reject messages that are purely for advertising or product/service solicitation, with little or no informational content beyond the solicitation, as well as other content that are not within the scope and purpose guidelines of SERIALST (see:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html

If you have thoughts or feedback about the Commercial digest, or other aspects of SERIALST, please let us hear from you. Contact information for the SERIALST moderators is at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html#contacts

This week's digest contains 5 messages:

1) ASA partners with SAGE to publish its journals
2) Oxford Journals 2010 prices are now available
3) Project MUSE News: MUSE Releases Search and Custom Print Features
4) SAGE 2010 journals pricing now available
5) Emerald Events at ALA, July 11-14

--------------
Message #1:

Subject: ASA partners with SAGE to publish its journals
From: Sheenagh McCarthy (Sheenagh.McCarthy@sagepub.com)
Date: 7/6/09 1:00 PM

***** Apologies for cross posting****

The American Sociological Association partners with SAGE to publish its
influential journals

Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore and Washington DC (July 6,
2009) - SAGE is very pleased to announce it has signed an agreement to
partner with the American Sociological Association (ASA) to publish
eight of its journals beginning in 2010 and 2012.

The journals are American Sociological Review, ASA's flagship journal
and the number-one-ranked journal in sociology, Contemporary Sociology:
A Journal of Reviews, Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Social
Psychology Quarterly, Sociology of Education, and Teaching Sociology
(all to be published by SAGE in 2010); and Sociological Methodology and
Sociological Theory (published by SAGE beginning in 2012).

The American Sociological Association is a non-profit membership
association, based in Washington, DC, dedicated to advancing sociology
as a scientific discipline and profession serving the public good.
Founded in 1905, ASA has nearly 15,000 members, including college and
university faculty, and researchers at public institutions and in the
private sector. Its members participate in 44 special interest sections
and its journals are among the best in the field.

"Forming a publishing partnership with SAGE is a very significant step
for the Association, one we believe will be extremely beneficial to our
members and to the discipline of sociology," said ASA Executive Officer
Sally Hillsman. "SAGE has long provided significant publishing support
to sociology, and this is a particularly important time for our
discipline nationally and internationally. The leadership of the
American Sociological Association seeks to ensure the Association's
journals are at the core of a robust sociological and interdisciplinary
scholarly communication system that strengthens our discipline and
contributes to the well being of society. I am confident that ASA's
partnership with SAGE will move us forward in achieving these goals."

Publishers' proposals were judged on the strength of their list in
sociology and related fields and on the publisher's reputation and
references.

"We couldn't be more pleased that ASA has selected SAGE as its publisher
and are delighted to be working with the Association to grow and
strengthen its publishing program," said Alison Mudditt, SAGE Executive
Vice President. "The ASA's prestigious journals will increase the
quality of our already strong list in sociology. Our extensive online
presence, marketing efforts, and international sales team will help
heighten worldwide visibility for ASA's journals."

Sheenagh McCarthy
Senior Marketing Manager
Library Group
SAGE Publications Inc
2455 Teller Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320
USA
sheenagh.mccarthy@sagepub.com

--------------
Message #2:

Subject: Oxford Journals 2010 prices are now available
From: "ISON, Helen" <helen.ison@oup.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:49:51 +0100

***Apologies for cross posting***

Oxford Journals is pleased to announce that our 2010 prices are now available.

Please read on for important information about our change in pricing policy, our online-only price freeze, and the titles joining and leaving our collection.

More information about these changes can be found at:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/changes_2010.html

Please contact us if you have any queries at kirsty.luff@oup.com.

Kind regards

Kirsty Luff
Senior Communications Manager
Oxford University Press

2010 INSTITUTIONAL PRICE LIST
2010 prices are now available at:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/2010/institution_price_list.html

Please note that prices for Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology and Journal of Pediatric Psychology will be added shortly.

CHANGE TO OUR PRICING POLICY
>From 2010 onwards the online-only price will be the 'base' price for all the journals we publish (rather than the print-plus-online or combined price). The print only price will be 110% and the combined price 120% of the online-only price.

2010 ONLINE-ONLY PRICE FREEZE
We are pleased to inform you that there will be no increase in the online-only price between 2009 and 2010 for the majority of our journals.
For more information please visit:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/2010/pricing_policy_2010.html

2010 JOINERS
The following titles will join our list in 2010:
*American Journal of Agricultural Economics *Neuro-Oncology *Journal of International Dispute Settlement (new launch) *Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy (previously entitled Review of Agricultural Economics).
Please note Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy is available as a combined subscription with the American Journal of Agricultural Economics or on its own, and that American Journal of Agricultural Economics will only be available as a combined subscription with Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy.

No titles are leaving Oxford Journals in 2010.

For more information please see:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/changes_2010.html

LATE 2009 LAUNCHES
We are pleased to announce that the following titles are launching later this year: Journal of Molecular Cell Biology and AoB Plants.

JOURNALS INCREASING IN FREQUENCY
The following journals are increasing in frequency in 2010: International Journal of Law and Information Technology, Neuro-Oncology, Classical Receptions Journal, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Applied Linguistics, Medical Law Review, Contemporary Women's Writing, and English.

NAME CHANGES
'Review of Agricultural Economics' is now 'Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy' and 'Briefings in Functional Genomics and Proteomics' is now 'Briefings in Functional Genomics'.

ONLINE-ONLY SUBSCRIPTIONS NOW AVAILABLE
Online-only subscriptions are now available for the following journals: Oxford Art Journal, Journal of Design History, Journal of the History of Collections (this journal is also increasing in extent).

2010 OXFORD JOURNALS COLLECTION
Most of our journals are sold as a package to institutions and consortia.
Download a list of titles included in the 2010 Oxford Journals Collection here:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/collections_summary_2010.pdf

OTHER NEWS
Molecular Plant is now under access control. Journal of Molecular Cell Biology will be free online until January 3rd 2011.

For more information on all these changes please visit:
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/access_purchase/changes_2010.html

Oxford University Press (UK) Disclaimer

This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information for the intended purpose only. OUP does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are those of the author only and not of OUP. If this email has come to you in error, please delete it, along with any attachments. Please note that OUP may intercept incoming and outgoing email communications.

--------------
Message #3:

Subject: Project MUSE News: MUSE Releases Search and Custom Print Features
From: "Melanie Schaffner" <melanie@muse.jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:42:06 -0400 (EDT)

New Discovery Features, Sheridan Custom Print Now Available on MUSE

Project MUSE is excited to announce two new features that help users more
easily locate articles relevant to their research. MUSE also introduces a
new option to custom print and package articles in MUSE journals.

The new features are:

- A 'Search this Journal' search box. This search box appears on each
journal's home page, on the Table of Contents (TOC) of each issue, and on
each article. The 'Search This Journal' feature enables a user to quickly
check all issues of the journal in MUSE, with a single search, for all
articles in that journal pertaining to a particular subject.

- Summaries (abstracts) for articles. MUSE now provides a link for the
summary of each article. Users know that the ability to scan summaries of
articles is essential to determining which articles are relevant to their
research. That ability is now available in MUSE. The Summary links appear
on the TOCs and in search results, next to the article format options of
HTML and PDF.

New Option for Custom Print

Custom Print is a service provided by Sheridan Press that allows a user to
click on a link from MUSE and purchase an article or groups of articles
for the purpose of creating a custom publication. MUSE is one of the first
online providers to activate this service. The user may choose either
print or electronic format for the purchased articles. At this time,
articles contained in 'The American Indian Quarterly' published by the
University of Nebraska Press are the only articles in MUSE for which this
option is available. On the article page, look for the link 'Custom Print'
to initiate the transaction.

MUSE on Facebook

MUSE has been on Facebook for some time now, but we just secured our own
URL and wanted to pass the word on to MUSE users. Find MUSE at
www.facebook.com/ProjectMUSE. Become a fan of MUSE! You can also follow us
on Twitter, @ProjectMUSE.

For any questions or comments about the new features, please email us at
muse@press.jhu.edu.

Melanie Schaffner
Marketing and Sales Manager, Project MUSE
The Johns Hopkins University Press
2715 N Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218 USA
P 410-516-3846
F 410-516-3846
melanie@muse.jhu.edu

--------------
Message #4:

Subject: SAGE 2010 journals pricing now available
From: Sheenagh McCarthy (Sheenagh.McCarthy@sagepub.com)
Date: 7/8/09 12:25 PM

***Apologies for cross posting***

SAGE 2010 journals pricing is now available online: http://www.sagepublications.com/instpricelist.pdf

We are continuing our discounted rate off our base price (combined print and online subscription) as follows:

-10% discount off the combined base price for e-only subscriptions
-2% discount off the combined base price for print-only subscriptions

As more customers continue to move to e-only subscriptions, the 10% discount off the base price will assist librarians making this transition.

There will be 26 new titles publishing with SAGE in 2010. These include

-Index on Censorship;
-The journals of the Association for Psychological Science:
	-Psychological Science,
	-Current Directions in Psychological Science,
	-Psychological Science in the Public Interest and
	-Perspectives on Psychological Science;
- The journals of the American Sociological Association:

For a full list of titles and other changes, please see http://www.sagepub.com/repository/binaries/librarian/new_journals_and_changs.pdf

Sheenagh McCarthy
Senior Marketing Manager
Library Group
SAGE Publications Inc
2455 Teller Road
Thousand Oaks, CA 91320
USA
sheenagh.mccarthy@sagepub.com

--------------
Message #5:

Subject: Emerald Events at ALA, July 11-14
From: "Janet Fisher" <jfisher@pcgplus.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:18:53 -0400

Emerald Management Plus on display at ALA Annual, Chicago, IL, July 11-14, booth # 3251

Meet acclaimed author Rachel Singer Gordon at the Emerald reception

United States, July 2009 - Emerald Inc. is exhibiting at the American Library Association's Annual Conference, Chicago, McCormick Place West, from July 11-14.  Delegates are invited to visit Emerald Booth #3251 to discover more about Emerald Books and Emerald Management Plus, the largest, most comprehensive collection of peer-reviewed management journals and online support for librarians, students, faculty researchers and deans.

Bill Russell, Senior Vice President, and Jim De Wolf, Vice President of Academic Markets (Americas), will be available during the conference to answer questions about the whole range of Emerald products and services.

Visitors can join in a number of events that will take place during the Conference:

A programme of "Meet the Editor" sessions at the booth will give everyone the chance to talk with the editors of some of the leading LIS titles:

*	Saturday, July 11, 11-12 noon: Sarah Watstein, editor of Reference Services Review, and Michael Seadle, editor of Library Hi Tech

*	Saturday, July 11, 12.30-1.30pm: Linda Ashcroft, editor of New Library World

*	Sunday, July 12, 11-12noon: Marty Kesselman, editor Library Hi Tech News

*	Sunday, July 12, 2.30-3pm: Kay Cassell, editor of Collection Building

 On Saturday, July 11, from 5-7pm, Rachel Singer Gordon, acclaimed author of eight books for the library and information science profession, will feature as Guest of Honor at the Emerald's Pimm's & Canapés Reception at the Blackstone Renaissance Hotel (invitation only). Rachel's talk on "Career Building in a Down Economy" will be followed by the presentation of two Emerald Best Paper Awards.

Every day of the exhibition at 11am, Emerald representatives at Booth # 3251 will be serving a British mid-morning treat: 'elevenses", consisting of a friendly chat over iced tea and tasty cupcakes.

Note that, as part of the "Journal of the Week" initiative, Reference Services Review, one of Emerald's leading titles in Library and Information Science, will be freely accessible from July 12 for a week: http://info.emeraldinsight.com/jotw/

If you would like to attend the Emerald's Reception at the Blackstone Renaissance Hotel on Saturday, July 11, please contact Helen Evans, Conferences Manager, at hevans@emeraldinsight.com to request an invitation. Places to this event are limited.

For more information about Emerald products and to book an appointment, contact Jim De Wolf, Vice President of Academic Markets (America), at jdewolf@emeraldinsight.com

- ends -

About Emerald    www.emeraldinsight.com

Established in 1967, Emerald Group Publishing is the world's leading publisher of management research.  In total, Emerald publishes over 700 titles, comprising 200 journals, over 300 books and more than 200 series and serials as well as an extensive range of online products and services.  Emerald is both COUNTER and TRANSFER compliant. The organization is a partner of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and also works with Portico and the LOCKSS initiative for digital archive preservation.

Emerald Management Plus is the largest, most comprehensive collection of peer reviewed management journals and online support for students, managers and researchers. With "Research you can use" as a publishing philosophy, the collection provides scholarly research that is both rigorous and relevant, with practical implications for professionals outside the academic world. For busy managers in corporate, federal and public organizations, Emerald Management First is an award-winning online knowledge and information resource.

Contact

Arnaud Pellé
Corporate Communications Manager
Emerald Group Publishing Limited