Commercial digest (4 messages) Bob Persing 24 Jul 2009 19:33 UTC

ABOUT THE COMMERCIAL DIGEST

Since June 2008, the SERIALST moderators have been distributing a
Commercial Digest once a week, on Friday afternoons, with messages
containing informational content from commercial bodies (i.e.,
publishers, vendors, agents, etc.). The moderators review submitted
messages for informational content that may interest our subscribers.

We reserve the right to reject messages that are purely for advertising
or product/service solicitation, with little or no informational content
beyond the solicitation, as well as other content that are not within
the scope and purpose guidelines of SERIALST:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html

If you have thoughts or feedback about the Commercial digest, or other
aspects of SERIALST, please let us hear from you. Contact information
for the SERIALST moderators is at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html#contacts

This week's digest contains 4 messages:

1) Springer After Sales Survey
2) OSA Announces 2010 Pricing: No increase for Optics InfoBase
3) Upcoming classes from Lyrasis
4) now publishers announces no price increases for 2010

--------------
Message #1:

Subject: Springer After Sales Survey
From: "Scotti, George, Springer US" <George.Scotti@springer.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:01:34 -0400

Springer is interested in partnering with customers to ensure successful
implementation and usage of our eProducts. We would like to know what
services you might be interested in partnering with us on. Please take
this short survey and as a reward we will enter you into a survey for a
Kindle 2.

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB22896G5BMZS

Best, George

---

George Scotti
Springer
Director Channel Marketing
---
233 Spring Street | New York, NY 10013 | USA
Tel: +1-781-363-0386
Fax: +1-917-591-1510
George.Scotti@springer.com
www.springer.com

--------------
Message #2:

Subject: OSA Announces 2010 Pricing: No increase for Optics InfoBase
From: "Orr, Christine" <corr@osa.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:30:51 -0400

Please excuse cross-posting.

Dear Colleagues:

OSA is pleased to announce our institutional subscription pricing for
2010 at www.osa.org/librarians. We are mindful of the economic
challenges our institutional library partners are facing, and we are
eager to work with you to ensure your patrons and researchers have
access to the top-quality optics content they require.

Please read on for details of the following:

* 2010 PRICE FREEZE FOR OPTICS INFOBASE

* OSA JOURNALS IMPROVE IMPACT FACTORS; ACCOUNT FOR 49.6% OF ALL
CITATIONS IN ISI OPTICS CATEGORY TOP 20

* DEVELOPMENTS FOR 2010 SUBSCRIPTIONS

2010 PRICE FREEZE FOR OPTICS INFOBASE

Our flagship collection, Optics InfoBase, will see no increase for 2010.
This all-electronic full-text database contains more than 168,000
articles from 14 publications, and represents the largest peer-reviewed
optics and photonics collection. See www.opticsinfobase.org for details.

ADDITIONAL PRICING FOR 2010

All stand-alone journals and our print + online combination packages
will be subject to a modest 3% increase.

Complete rates for the following titles may be found at
www.osa.org/librarians :

* Advances in Optics and Photonics

* Applied Optics

* Journal of the Optical Society of America A

* Journal of the Optical Society of America B

* Optics Express

* Optics Letters

* Optics & Photonics News

* OSA Conference Papers

* Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics

In addition to our publications above, OSA is also proud to present a
selection of journals which are offered in cooperation with other
scholarly societies:

* Chinese Optics Letters (published by Science Press, China)

* Journal of Display Technology (jointly published by OSA and IEEE)

* Journal of Lightwave Technology (jointly published by OSA and IEEE)

* Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (jointly published by
OSA and IEEE)

* Journal of Optical Technology (published by S.I. State Optical
Institute and D.S. Rozhdestvensky Optical Society, Russia)

* Applied Spectroscopy (published by the Society for Applied Spectroscopy)

OSA JOURNALS ACHIEVE HIGHER IMPACT FACTORS IN 2008

Optics Letters, Optics Express, Applied Optics, Journal of the Optical
Society of America A, Journal of the Optical Society of America B, and
the Journal of Lightwave Technology all reported higher impact factors
compared to 2007. Together, these six journals also accounted for 49.6%
of all citations among the top 20 journals in the ISI optics category.
Further, OSA journals claimed six of the top 12 spots in the optics
category when ranked by Eigenfactor. Please see
http://www.osa.org/journals/news for complete data.

DEVELOPMENTS FOR 2010

Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN)

JOCN merges OSA’s Journal of Optical Networking with IEEE ComSoc's
Supplement on Optical Networking and Communications, which is published
with the Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. JOCN will be
included in Optics InfoBase, and in OSA’s Combination Package 2; it may
also be subscribed to as a stand-alone title. Subscribers will continue
to have access to the complete JON backfiles.

JOCN ISSN: 1943-0620 www.opticsinfobase.org/jocn

Advances in Optics and Photonics (AOP)

Launched in 2009, Advances in Optics and Photonics will go under access
control in January 2010. Libraries subscribing to Optics InfoBase or
Combination Packages 1, 2, or 3 will now have access to AOP as part of
those packages. AOP may also be subscribed to as a stand-alone title.

AOP ISSN 1943-8206 www.opticsinfobase.org/aop

Should you wish to modify your OSA subscriptions, or if you need
additional information, please contact us at elec@osa.org or
+1-202-416-1901. You may also contact me personally at the coordinates
below; I’d be glad to hear from you.

 From all of us at OSA, we look forward to working with you in the new
subscription year.

Kind regards,

Christine Orr
Director, Publication Sales
Optical Society of America
2010 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington DC 20036 USA
Tel: +1 202-416-1409
Email: corr@osa.org
www.opticsinfobase.org
www.osa.org/librarians

--------------
Message #3:

Subject: Upcoming classes from Lyrasis
From: Marlee Givens <marlee.givens@lyrasis.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:22:02 -0400

Please excuse cross-posting.

The following classes will be brought to you soon by Lyrasis, online and
around the region. For more information or to register, please visit
www.lyrasis.org Keyword: Classes and Events.

Map Cataloging

08/18/2009, 9:00am-4:00pm CMT

Hosted at University Of Alabama - Birmingham

Using Batch Processing in Connexion Client (Live Online)

08/18/2009, 10:00am-12:00pm EST

Classroom Management for Librarians (Live Online)

08/18/2009 - 08/19/2009, 10:00am-12:00pm EST two consecutive days

Advocacy: What is it? (Live Online)

08/18/2009, 2:00pm-4:00pm EST

Acquiring & Understanding E-Resources Usage Statistics (Live Online)

08/18/2009 - 08/19/2009, 2:00pm-4:00pm EST, two consecutive days

Fundamentals of Book Repair

08/19/2009 - 08/20/2009, 9:00am-4:00pm EST, two consecutive days

Hosted at Lyrasis- Philadelphia Office

Evergreen Cataloging Module (Live Online)

08/19/2009 - 08/20/2009, 2:00pm-4:00pm EST

Online Cataloging Resources and Tools (Live Online)

08/19/2009, 2:00pm-4:00pm EST

SAVE $25 when you register. Enter discount code OCRT090819

*This class is recommended for staff new to cataloging.

Disaster Recovery for Museum Collections

08/20/2009, 9:00am-4:00pm EST

Hosted at Lyrasis- Atlanta Office

Status Discarded: The Who,What, When, Where and How of Weeding

08/20/2009, 10:00am-12:00pm EST

Using Technology in Information Literacy Programs (Live Online)

08/20/2009 - 08/21/2009, 10:00am-12:00pm EST two consecutive days

20 Questions: Art Resources (Live Online)

08/20/2009, 2:00pm-4:00pm EST

Management 101: Human Resources (Live Online)

08/20/2009, 2:00pm-4:00pm EST

RDA Overview and Update (Live Online)

08/20/2009, 2:00pm-4:00pm EST

SAVE $25 when you register. Enter discount code RDA090820

All Live Online classes are recorded and available for playback at any
time. For more details about any of the classes listed above or in our
catalog please contact Lyrasis at 800-999-8558. Thanks!

MARLEE GIVENS
Manager of Preservation and Digital Services
Lyrasis
marlee.givens@lyrasis.org
404.892.0943 x3980

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

PALINET and SOLINET are now Lyrasis - Advancing Libraries Together

--------------
Message #4:

Subject: now publishers announces no price increases for 2010
From: Zac Rolnik <zac.rolnik@nowpublishers.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:08:38 -0400

For Immediate Release
Boston MA, July 24, 2009
Contact: Zac Rolnik, zac.rolnik@nowpublishers.com
Tel: +1-781-871-0245

2010 Prices and New Journal Announced

now publishers announces its new prices for 2010 and there will be no
price increase for 2010. This follows no price increases in 2005 and
2006. now publishers is committed to offering high-usage content at
reasonable prices with fair licensing practices. This commitment
includes customer friendly policies such as unlimited concurrent usage,
unlimited downloads for course packs, perpetual access, and third-party
archiving.

Continuing to build its Foundations and Trends reference journal
program, now publishers is announcing one new journal for 2010 --
Foundations and Trends in Robotics edited by Henrik Christensen @
Georgia Tech and Roland Siegwart @ ETH.

Complete price information and licensing conditions can be found at
www.nowpublishers.com/pricelist. To renew your subscriptions, please

About now publishers
now publishers is a privately owned company providing the research and
library community with a partnership for publishing. The company brings
a new approach to scholarly publishing, which values editors and
authors, deploys a liberal and fair copyright policy, and provides
librarians with value for money. now is committed to working with
authors, editors, readers and librarians to publish insightful, in-depth
reviews in as timely and efficient a manner as possible. Find out more
by visiting www.nowpublishers.com