Re: Department size MARTIN, ANITA 17 Aug 2009 16:07 UTC

At Kent State University Libraries we have around 18,000 students. Our Serials & Electronic Resources department consists of 3 support staff who order, claim and check in serials (including periodicals) and 1 librarian who manages our electronic resources. I am one of the support staff.

There is 1 catalog librarian who works with serials part-time and other materials the rest of the time. There are additional catalog librarians in the Cataloging Department who handle music, audio-visual and monographic cataloging.

In addition to our catalog librarian, I also perform basic cataloging for title changes; new titles etc., even though my primary job is to manage check-in (performed by 3 graduate students) and oversee special projects.  Any cataloging issues that I can't figure out would then go to our catalog librarian.

Anita
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anita L. Martin
University Libraries
Serials & Electronic Resources
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242
Phone: 330-672-1689
FAX: 330-672-3024
Email: almarti1@kent.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Griffin, Glenda
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:22 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Department size

Greetings colleagues,
I am interested in finding out the number of librarians and staff for serials cataloging other libraries have who are similar in size to ours.  I'm interested in academic libraries that serve student populations of approximately 15,000-18,000.  Our library has acquisition staff that order, check-in, and conduct shelf maintenance for our serials.  Cataloging staff for serials consists of one person - me.  I would like to know if other libraries our size have more than one cataloging staff for serials.  I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks so much!

Glenda Griffin
Serials Catalog Librarian
Newton Gresham Library
Sam Houston State University