Re: Ebsco renewals and "free access" Marsha Shea 01 Sep 2009 23:34 UTC

Toni,

Since retention of back issues is not an issue, and the online
edition is frely available to all, it may be helpful to ask questions
like the following before deciding to cancel your print subscription.

Does the electronic version meet your user's needs?  Is this a
journal that users prefer to "leaf through" while sitting in a
comfortable chair?
Is the online content equivalent to the print content?  If there are
differences between the online and the print versions, are these
difference acceptable?
Is the online version available ahead of, or at least not
significantly behind the print issues?
Are the format and design of the online edition user-friendly?

Marsha Shea
San Diego State University

At 10:25 AM 9/1/2009, you wrote:
>I would like to ask about titles in Ebsco's Online Availability Report,
>listing titles to which one subscribes, with additional information on
>online availability.  Some titles for which we pay a subscription state:
>"can be accessed free without authentication or registration".  An example
>for Colby would be the Beijing Review.
>
>Why then are we paying a subscription (if in fact we do not care about
>archival or perpetual access)?
>
>I'd like to hear the opinion of others, since I feel like I am missing
>something--it just can't be that simple.
>
>Thank you.
>Toni Katz
>Colby College

Marsha Shea, Serials Coordinator