Re: Cancellation question Patricia Pettijohn 17 Sep 2009 13:11 UTC

Check the details for any print newspaper subscriptions handled through the agent-- frequently these will require a formal cancellation, not just a non-renewal.

________________________________

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of Diane Westerfield
Sent: Wed 9/16/2009 4:58 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Cancellation question

Hi,

I am undertaking my first large print journal cancellation project.  My question to you serials veterans is:

Do I need to notify publishers directly about these cancellations?  Or is it sufficient, as my customer service rep says, for our subscription agent to not place an order and that will signify as a cancellation?

I've seen a few expensive titles linger on a year later than they were supposed to because the publisher wasn't informed in time of the intent to cancel.  We are cancelling many titles (of publishers of varying size and type) and counting on the cost savings going forward.  I don't want to see a single publisher come back and charge us for unwanted print.  However, notifying several dozen publishers of specific title cancellations would be a lot of work, I'd rather avoid any unnecessary projects.  Any words of wisdom on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Diane Westerfield

Electronic Resources and Serials Librarian

Colorado College, Tutt Library

(719) 389-6661

(719) 389-6082 (fax)

diane.westerfield@coloradocollege.edu