Re: Checking in print plus online subscriptions? Koveleskie, Judith 03 Oct 2009 16:28 UTC

I agree.  For some titles, the online that comes with print seems to be considered "complimentary" and therefore permanent access is not guaranteed, unlike titles where you a specifically paying for the online.

We are moving to online wherever possible and so we have stopped binding all print because we foresee that in the future it will be discarded.   We just move it to Princeton files for retention and this seems to work well.

Judith A. Koveleskie
Periodicals Librarian
Seton Hill University
Reeves Memorial Library
Greensburg, PA  15601

724-838-7828

________________________________

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of julie su
Sent: Sat 10/3/2009 1:05 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU

Just please understand that if  you cancel the subscription in the future, most likely you will lose online access to the back issues that you have paid for. On the other hand, If you have kept your print copies, even you lose the online access, you still have the print issues.  However, if you have discarded the print issues, you will lose both print and online issues when a subscription is cancelled.

Julie

	From: Rose Marie Parsons <roseparsons@BOISESTATE.EDU>
	To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
	Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 4:07 PM

	Hello,

	Albertsons Library has adopted a policy that print does not need to be retained once we have online access through a paid subscription. When the library orders print + online because that is the only subscription option that provides online access, we may discard print upon receipt. Sometimes the subscription agent can persuade the publisher to refrain from sending the print.

	--
	Rose Marie Parsons
	Albertsons Library

	On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Williams, Mary Welch <mwill108@utmem.edu <http://us.mc379.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mwill108@utmem.edu> > wrote:

		Good morning!!

		We're facing further staff reductions and I'm trying to find ways for us
		to spend our precious time on things that really matter.

		We've been moving subscriptions to online only where economically
		feasible, but we still receive titles where online only is not an
		option.  We know that our print titles don't get used, we've got numbers
		that tell us so.  I've suggested that we not check in the print issue of
		our print+ subscriptions.  We have 41 such titles.

		My supervisor would like to know if others have done this and if there
		have been any ramifications, so I am asking you.

		Thanks for your help,

		Mary

		Mary Williams (mwill108@uthsc.edu <http://us.mc379.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mwill108@uthsc.edu> )
		Serials Librarian
		University of Tennessee Health Science Center
		Library and Biocommunications Center
		877 Madison Avenue, Room 250
		Memphis, TN 38163

		Phone: (901) 448-5154