Re: Free e-content - what do you do? Pennington, Buddy D. 11 Nov 2009 14:46 UTC

I'm interested in this as well, particularly in the area of freely accessible articles that are embedded into journals that are themselves not freely available.  The typical example being when the author pays an additional fee to make his/her article available to anybody within a journal that requires a subscription.

Buddy Pennington
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
University of Missouri - Kansas City
800 East 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
Phone: 816-235-1548
Fax: 816-333-5584
Email: penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Sarah Halliday
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:40 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Free e-content - what do you do?

(Already posted on LIS-E-RESOURCES - apologies for crossposting)

Hello

At the University of Hertfordshire (UK)  we’re undertaking a project to make
available as much ‘free’ e-content as possible to our users. We’re really
interested in finding out what other institutions do and would be very grateful
if you could reply to any or all of the following questions (and add any other
comments). If you'd like to reply off-list, I'm happy to summarise responses for
the list.

Do you put records for free e-content (such as reports, free to access e-
books, websites) in your OPAC?  If not, how do you make this content
available to your users?

What strategy do you use to determine what free content you will make
available to your users? How do you capture the content?

If you add records for free content to your OPAC, do you only add items that
have Marc records, or do you create records? If you create records, what
tools and methodology do you use?

Do you use a link checker, and if so, which one and how do you rate it?  Does
anyone have experience of using an open source link checker?

Are you aware of any forums where free content capture is discussed or any
initiatives addressing this subject?

Many thanks,

Sarah Halliday
Assistant Knowledge Consultant (Information Management) Information
Hertfordshire, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, Herts. AL10 9AB
email:      s.1.halliday@herts.ac.uk / phone:   01707 285769