Institutional vs. Central Repositories Stevan Harnad 25 Nov 2009 17:29 UTC

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Armbruster, Chris wrote:

> Much hope and a lot of money has been invested in institutional
> repositories - but, for example, in the UK the significant mandates are
> now research funder mandates and all the life science RCUKs have joined
> UK PMC. It would thus seem important and urgent that IRs reconsider
> their strategy and take a closer look at the idea of being a research
> repository or joining forces for building a national (or regional) system.

(-2) It is not at all clear that the "significant mandates" are the funder
mandates, especially in view of the past year's burst in institutional
mandates (UCL, Harvard, MIT, Stanford...):
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Temp/alma-mand1.png

(-1) The ones who need to reconsider their strategy are the (few) research
funders who have needlessly and counterproductively stipulated that
locus of deposit should be central rather than institutional.
http://bit.ly/6tmeUl

(1) Institutions are the universal providers of all research output --
funded and unfunded, across all subjects, all institutions, and all
nations.

(2) Institutions have a vested interest in hosting, monitoring,
showcasing and archiving their own research output.

(3) OAI-compliant Repositories are all interoperable.

(4) Either funders or institutions can in principle stipulate any locus
of deposit for a mandate, either institutional or central.

(5) But mandates are still growing too slowly, and one big reason is
that *no one wants to do -- or mandate -- multiple deposit*.

(6) There are potentially multiple, diverse and divergent central loci for
any piece of research output: subject collections, national collections,
funder collections, multidisciplinary collections, etc.

(7) The metadata and/or full-text deposits of any OAI-compliant repository
can be harvested, exported or imported to any OAI-compliant repository.

(8) The natural, economical, rational and systematic solution
(one-to-many, unitary-local --> multiple-distal) is for all researchers to
deposit *locally*, in their own institional repository -- and for distal
central collections to harvest, import or export -- not the reverse
(many-to-one, distal to local, willy-nilly, back-harvesting one's own
output from here, there and everywhere!), or both, or neither.

(9) The only thing that stands in the way of that optimal solution --
whereby institutional and funder mandates can collaborate, converge,
and mutually reinforce one another instead of diverging and competing --
is the arbitrary and ill-thought-through requirement by some funders
(but by no means all) to deposit centrally instead of institutionally.

(10) This obstacle is neither a functional one (it has nothing
*whatsoever* to do with the relative functionality of institutional
and central repositories -- they are interoperable and equipotent in
every respect) nor a "cultural" one (since self-archiving culture is
still very new and all too rare): the problem is simply the needless
adoption of arbitrary and ill-thought-out locus-of-deposit requirements
by some of the initial funders.

(11) The solution is to fix the funder locus-of-deposit specs, not to
switch to central locus of deposit.

(12) Prediction: The notion of a "central repository" -- new as it is --
is already obsolescent: Is Google a "central repository" or merely a
harvester of local content?

Stevan Harnad