Re: Auditing (Re: [SERIALST] Cease claiming, checking in, binding) Deeken, Joanne 20 Jan 2010 20:29 UTC

Well, sometimes those auditing procedures were set up years ago and a
library has been doing as it should and following the instructions
given.  But, when you go to the auditors and ASK them, there is always a
chance that practices have changed for them and they didn't realize you
needed to be told.

So, when you find a procedure awkward to follow, it never hurts to just
talk to the auditors, explain the problem and see if the process has
been or can be changed.

I've never had one object to a question: it means we're paying attention
to their rules.  And they will often listen and even consider changing
their policies--or perhaps gently explain why we've misinterpreted what
they need.

JoAnne Deeken

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Cynthia Hsieh
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:51 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Auditing (Re: [SERIALST] Cease claiming,
checking in, binding)

Again, different library may be facing different situation.  I would
suggest posters not to jump into conclusion and start judging the
others.

According my own past experiences, the auditing process was set up and
dictated by either the University's Controller's Office or the State
government's auditing procedures. It was not because the library refused
to change, but because the library did not have the authority to change
the auditing process.

Cynthia H.

Cynthia Hsieh
Head of Technical Services