Re: changing job descriptions - new responsibilities in the absence of check-in/claiming Carter, Kathy 21 Jan 2010 23:15 UTC

I agree with Rick's points.

We stopped claiming about 5 years ago and have no regrets.  We make
exceptions for missed loose-leaf updates (since the publication is
useless unless complete), reference items (if requested), and lapsed
orders (if noticed).  We cancel print as soon as reliable online access
becomes available, with very few exceptions, but we still have over 5000
print titles.  Users are offered ILL for missing issues.  They don't
care why the issue is unavailable (issue never received, lost, stolen,
mis-shelved, at the bindery, etc.).

Although it's true that each library must make its own decisions based
on its own situation, certain data if collected by one library would
likely be applicable to all of us, such as what percentage of issues
never arrive with claiming vs without claiming.

With the staff time we saved we've been able to (among other things)
organize systematic reviews of our orders to identify print titles we
can cancel in favour of reliable online access, and to provide prompt
troubleshooting for online access problems.

Kathy Carter
Bibliographic Services
University of Alberta Libraries
Edmonton AB T6G 2J8