Re: Selling of Journals, Donations of Journals, mostly Jstor Pennington, Buddy D. 24 Feb 2010 18:39 UTC

Removing the covers was a deal breaker for us. Initially, it was suggested that our students could do it but we said no to that very quickly.  We were very glad to hear that the paper pulping company could do it themselves.

Buddy Pennington
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
University of Missouri - Kansas City
800 East 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
Phone: 816-235-1548
Fax: 816-333-5584
Email: penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Andrews
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:21 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Selling of Journals, Donations of Journals, mostly Jstor

We have withdrawn most of our JSTOR titles.  It was done in one big
project initially and we did it during the school year because I am more
likely to have student workers to help with toting, etc.  We actually
offered these out on Backserv and the DEU list (again, the students made
the lists) and, much to my surprise, a fair number were taken by other
libraries and even PSC, on occasion.  I was glad to see this because I
hated to see thousands of dollars of materials go into the recycler and
because, at that time, we had to remove the covers to recycle (a really
big project which, again, the students did).  The people who wanted the
items reimbursed postage and the students packed things up, so the cost
was not great, and was mostly time, which we had to use on removing
covers anyway.  And I was happy to see things go to good homes.  The
things that weren't taken did go into recycling.  The biggest thing
about removing JSTOR titles is the amount of time and effort involved.
When it came right down to it, because we had to remove the covers, the
amount of time and effort spent in offering out and recycling evened
out.  And you still had to fix your records in the catalog and OCLC
(even more time and effort).

Good luck,

Susan Andrews

Head, Serials Librarian