Re: Shared Periodical Holdings Tian Zhang 05 Feb 2010 16:10 UTC

We had discussed the same issue in our library. One thing we noticed is that more and more online titles and back file archives are subscribed or purchased by our library in order to save space by withdrawing bind volumes. But all these online materials are not recorded in our holdings for ILL. The major reason is that we did not have ERMS to verifying which license agreement allows us to ILL or which does not.  We do not want to violate the license agreement with venders or publishers. But at the same time, we are afraid the less convenient for us to get ILL articles from other libraries in the future if the same situation is with the other libraries.

I just wonder whether the other libraries which use ERMS do ILL for their online materials. And how do they working with the license agreement on the online titles for ILL?

Thank you.

Tian Zhang

Serials Department
St. John's University Library
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439
Tel. 718 990-5082
Fax. 718 990-5938
Email: zhangt@stjohns.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Michelle Makkos
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:55 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Shared Periodical Holdings

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with a shared periodical collection?  As bound volumes of journals begin to take up more space along with the fact that so many journals can be accessed electronically, how beneficial is it for libraries that are in the same general locale to combine archived periodical collections in order to save time, space and money?  Has anyone successfully done it recently?  Any major problems that have been encountered?

Thanks!
Michelle

**********************************
Michelle Makkos