Re: JSTOR titles Pennington, Buddy D. 05 Mar 2010 16:32 UTC

We just did something very similar with our Innovative catalog. We created tabs for both "Articles & Databases" and "Online Journal" in our catalog. http://laurel.lso.missouri.edu/search~S3. We could probably do a better job of making it look more integrated but at least users can easily go back and forth between the various search tools from the catalog.

That said, we are continuing to use Serials Solutions' MARC records service for all of our electronic journals.

Buddy Pennington
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
University of Missouri - Kansas City
800 East 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
Phone: 816-235-1548
Fax: 816-333-5584
Email: penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer Sauer
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 10:25 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] JSTOR titles

Sherry,
What ILS are you running? This sounds like a great option.

Jennifer Sauer
Electronic Resources/Serials & Copyright Librarian
Fort Hays State University
Forsyth Library
600 Park
Hays, KS 67601

Voice: (785)628-5262
Fax:(785)628-5415

  From:       Sherri Parker <sparker@DEPAUW.EDU>

  To:         SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU

  Date:       03/05/2010 10:10 AM

  Sent by:    "SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum" <SERIALST@list.uvm.edu>

DePauw University chose some time ago to not load all the e-journal
information into the Catalog and we quit adding JSTOR, Project Muse, ACS,
and other information into our ILS.  What we chose to do instead, is create
a journals tab within our OPAC and home page, that does an SFX search.  The
patron does not realize they are searching a separate system, and everyone
finds everything they need.  We have ran it this way since about 2005 and
it has worked extremely well.  We did load our print holdings into SFX via
an import. So, the users find everything they need.

In addition, new tools like Primo can ingest your link resolver database,
potentially eliminating the need to load all that into your ILS.

- Sherri Parker

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Martha Spicuzza <mspicuzza@hillsdale.edu>
wrote:
  We add full catalog records for all JSTOR titles.  It is another point of
  access for our students and faculty.  JSTOR has become one of our most
  heavily used databases.

  Martha Spicuzza

  Techical Services Librarian/Serials

  Hillsdale College Mossey Library