Re: Newspapers on sticks Wilma Dague 13 Apr 2010 13:44 UTC

We still use sticks for our weekly or less frequent papers, but our dailies are still kept behind the circulation desk from the days when patrons used to steal or tear things from them.

Best regards,
Wilma Weant Dague
Serials  Coordinator
Benedictine College Library
St. Benedict's Abbey Library
1020 North 2nd St.
Atchison, KS 66002

(913) 360-7610
wdague@benedictine.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Ken Siegert
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:29 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Newspapers on sticks

Actually, we have similar shelves (from the 1930's).  When we replace the current edition, the day old newspaper is moved to the newspaper shelves (slanted shelf that lifts for holding older material).  We currently keep 4 weeks of each newspaper.

I'd like to try not using sticks, but I'll have to run it by my supervisor.  I'm looking at my student schedules for next semester, and none of my returning students would be able to easily fit newspaper processing into their schedules.  If we didn't use sticks, I could process them in a minute or two.

Ken Siegert
Acquisitions Assistant
Electronic Resources & Periodicals / U.S. Documents
Shadek-Fackenthal Library
Franklin & Marshall College
P.O. Box 3003
Lancaster, PA  17604-3003