Re: Labels for Current Titles on Shelf DAVIS, ROGER 02 Jul 2010 12:46 UTC

Barb,
I don't know about the magnetic tape method although it sounds intriguing. I can tell you that we tried to use clear plastic magnetic holders that had  a magnetic strip on the back and a little U shaped slot to drop in a slip of paper with the serial title so that when you stuck the magnet to the shelf the title would show. Something similar to this http://tinyurl.com/27lhe3c. They were easy to cut to size and move and one could create the title with a word processor. Other than that, they were a dismal failure. They got  knocked off all the time and the paper slid out. We had to tape the paper into the plastic slot and by the time you did that you might have well taped it to the shelf (which is what we do now, because the titles don't change  that often and we don't have a huge collection). We tried using a heavier card stock but then we had problems with cardstock in the printer and sometimes they were hard to get into the plastic slot. All in all, it was too much trouble.

Roger Davis
Serials Librarian
Kent State University - Stark Campus
6000 Frank Ave. NW
Canton, Ohio
http://local2.stark.kent.edu/Library/Bindings/

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Barbara Pope
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:35 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Labels for Current Titles on Shelf

Hello.  For years, we have used those little plastic label holders and
put pieces of paper in them to identify where each current periodical
title is shelved.  Our plastic label holders don't really fit out
shelves, thus necessitating using doublesided foam tape to hold them
on.  I was at another library once and noticed that they use some kind
of magnetic tape with labels on them for this same purpose.  The magnets
intrigued me, because I realized how easy shifting the collection would
be.  I was wondering if any of you have used this option, or any other
option for shelf labels.  What product do you use and where did you buy it?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Barbara M. Pope, MALS
Periodicals/Reference Librarian