Fwd: Ranking Web of Repositories: July 2010 Edition Stevan Harnad 09 Jul 2010 18:24 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Leslie Carr <lac -- ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: Ranking Web of Repositories: July 2010 Edition
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM@listserver.sigmaxi.org

On 9 Jul 2010, at 08:12, Isidro F. Aguillo wrote:

> However perhaps you will like this page we prepared for the University rankings related to UK universities commitment to OA:
> http://www.webometrics.info/openac.html

Thanks for preparing the page - it is very informative and helpful in
answering questions about the interpretation of the IR ranking
relating to the discrepancy between the relative ordering of
institutions in the IR list and other (independent) research rankings.

As you point out, much of the difference is explained by the relative
"openness" of each institution's literature. Since 50% of the score is
devoted to in-links, and there is little motivation to link to an
empty bibliographic record, a high proportion of OA papers will tend
to attract more links, more traffic and hence a more "impactful"
repository.

Some institutions have therefore benefited from their efforts to
deposit OA papers, becoming more visible and hence more highly rated.
Others are seeing the opposite effect -  institutions that would
normally be at the top of any research list are much lower down than
expected. Some of these institutions don't have very effective
repositories and some do but hide them behind firewalls. Either way
the net effect is the same - not much visible public literature to
attract links or traffic.

I hope that the effect of this "league table" will be to encourage
institutions to redouble their efforts in regard to Open Access. I
also hope that it will be possible to have further public dialogue so
that the process can be increasingly open and the community can better
understand, verify and trust your metrics.

Thanks again for your contribution!
--
Les Carr