Re: Pocket parts Amanda Quist 15 Jul 2010 17:04 UTC

Our library also has 4 branches and we do centralized processing. We do stamp all pocket parts with a date/property stamp, for the reasons others have mentioned, as well as because we are a public law library, this practice helps us identify these items as belonging to us, and discourage walking pocket parts. Stamping each pocket part is actually a simplification of what we did just a few years ago, which was stamp, magnetic strip, write the call number and check-in record number on all pocket parts! We feel pretty comfortable with just the stamp, and the call number on the top of the stack only. We have Library Aides, who are primarily library school students, do the majority of our processing. It is time consuming and I'm sure they groan inwardly when they see the pile waiting for them, but it's only a few times a year, so it's not too bad.

Amanda K. Quist
Acquisitions Librarian
San Diego County Public Law Library
aquist@sdcpll.org

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Melissa Ewing [ewingme@COOLEY.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:05 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Pocket parts

I believe that's the reasoning behind our practice too. You never know if a publisher is going to put all the needed info on the front.

Melissa Ewing
Serials Assistant
Brennan Law Library
Thomas M Cooley Law School
300 S. Capitol Ave.
PO Box 13038
Lansing, MI 48901
Phone (517) 371-5140 ext. 3433
Fax (517) 334-5715
ewingme@cooley.edu

On 7/15/2010 at  9:45 AM, Clement Lau <cclau@UBALT.EDU> wrote:
We property/date stamp each piece to help patrons/staff to identify the currency of the supplements.

Clement Chu-Sing Lau
Assistant Director for
Technical Services and Administration
University of Baltimore
School of Law Library
LC420A, 1415 Maryland Ave.
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
U.S.A.
410-837-4592 (voice)
410-837-4656 (fax)
cclau@ubalt.edu
http://law.ubalt.edu/lawlib/index.html

<<<<<<<<<<<<,,,,,,,>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Melissa Ewing <ewingme@COOLEY.EDU>
Sent by: "SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum" <SERIALST@list.uvm.edu>

07/14/2010 10:56 AM
Please respond to
"SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum" <SERIALST@list.uvm.edu>

SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU

cc

Subject

[SERIALST] Pocket parts

To all the law libraries out there: When you check-in pocket parts, do you property stamp each piece or just put them in the books "as is?"

Thanks,

Melissa Ewing
Serials Assistant
Brennan Law Library