Re: Circulating Journals (Beth Wages) Koveleskie, Judith 12 Nov 2010 20:18 UTC

We still do not circulate journals because we think that many of them are irreplaceable if they are lost.   Since most academic journals have a limited print run, if one is lost it can't be obtained, even if we charged the patron a  replacement fee.   In the past we had a few requests to circulate the journals, but when we explained the reason they didn't circulate, people seemed to understand.   They just have to copy the articles or sit and read them in the library, although with the increase in online access, this is diminishing.

Judith A. Koveleskie, MLIS, MA
Periodicals Librarian
Seton Hill University
Reeves Memorial Library
1 Seton Hill Drive
Greensburg, PA 15601-1548
kovelesk@setonhill.edu<mailto:kovelesk@setonhill.edu>
724-838-7828
This document may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you received it in error, please contact the sender at once and destroy the document. The document may contain information subject to restrictions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Acts. Such information may not be disclosed or used in any fashion outside the scope of the service for which you are receiving the information.

From: Sarah Sanford <ssanford@GUSTAVUS.EDU<mailto:ssanford@GUSTAVUS.EDU>>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:11:02 -0600
To: Serialst <SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU<mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU>>
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Circulating Journals (Beth Wages)

We have circulated our journals (including barcoded volumes and single issues) for about four years now. The loan period was initially 24 hours but we extended it to 7 days for students and faculty. Students and faculty are allowed up to 100 barcoded items checked out at any given time (this only includes journals). I don't have exact figures, but we have not seen an increase of lost or damaged issues. Lost items are billed, and the cost is high enough to motivate students to return the items.

Regards,
Sarah

From: Beth L S Wages (EWages@SF.EDU<mailto:EWages@SF.EDU>)
To: SERIALST
Subject: Circulating Journals
Date: 11/11/10 1:49 PM

At the request of several faculty members and students, my small academic library is considering changing our policy on circulating journals. Currently, we allow a 24-hour check-out with no renewals for faculty members only. I am researching what other institutions do with journals as we work to make our decision. Do you allow them to circulate and, if so, to whom? What is your loan period, and do you allow renewals? Do you have a lot of replacement costs from journals either not coming back or being damaged while out? Do you make use of protective coverings to help cut down on wear and tear? If you have bound journals, do you allow the entire books to circulate? Approximately how many journals are checked out at any one time?

Any information you can provide would be very helpful as we try to come to a decision.

Thank you!

Beth

Beth Shively Wages
Lee & Jim Vann Library