Re: Returning to print? tonkery@MINDSPRING.COM 30 Mar 2011 15:30 UTC

I am not sure that any library is able to turn back the clock and to return to print.  For one thing your users have adopted the e-versions as the version of choice, and as other have said libraries have given up the space for other functions.

Returning to print would only be a short term solution as many publishers are already planning for a e-only world as the print subscriptions are in serious decline.  I don't expect print to last another 5 years with many large publishers.

I think the best solution for now is some form of pay per view.   Several major publishers now offer a token plan where the library can purchase articles at a reduced price.  Wiley offers an interesting plan.  ILL is an slow option.

I think we are going to see more creative solutions to the pay per view option.  Just this week I saw an announcement from CCC about their new Get it Now service.

Get it Now

"Another offering for libraries scheduled to be announced today is a service from the Copyright Clearance Center, a Massachusetts-based nonprofit, called Get It Now. Designed to eliminate inefficiencies in inter-library lending of journal articles, Get It Now allows students who want to read articles from journals to which their libraries do not subscribe to get a digital copy of the article e-mailed to them in minutes, rather than having a librarian send away for a photocopied version from another library.

The old way tended to take 5 to 10 days, says Gerry Hanley, senior director for academic technology services at the California State University chancellor’s office, which has been piloting the service for a year. The new way takes 5 to 10 minutes.

Get It Now essentially allows college libraries to purchase individual articles for students for less than it would cost, on average, to get a copy made and sent from another library. “The service has been a boon to graduate students and faculty who have had access to a greater scope of digital content than what was previously available through licensed content agreements,” Hanley wrote in an e-mail."

If all else fails, I suggest you try negotiating with the publisher.  I have seen many publishers work out special arrangements with libraries that have having unusually difficult budget situations. Often a publisher will go the extra mile to prevent a library from cancelling a title as they know the title might be gone for ever.

Dan

President
Content Strategies