Re: Compact Shelving van Sickle, Jennifer 11 Apr 2011 21:36 UTC

Hi Barbara,

Our microform is located in its own shelving area near the reference & circulation desks.  When the building was renovated in 2003, we made sure the location was user-friendly.  It's  essential to be close by in order to help students, many of whom have never even heard of microform.  Our bound periodicals are on compact shelving in the basement.  Hope this helps!

--Jennifer van Sickle
Trinity College
Hartford, CT
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] on behalf of Barbara Pope [bpope@PITTSTATE.EDU]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 4:35 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Compact Shelving

Hello, everyone.  We are planning on installing compact shelving in our
bound periodicals stacks in the next few years.  Our dean visited
another college in our state where the periodicals on microfilm were
shelved on the same compact shelving as the bound periodicals.  Have any
of you ever seen this kind of compact shelving or used it?  If so, do
you know of a vendor or manufacturer?  If you also having any
information on how useful this kind of shelving is, what you do/don't
like about it, pricing, etc., that would also be helpful.

I do not wish to hear from vendors.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
--
Barbara M. Pope, MALS
Periodicals/Reference Librarian

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will
get you through times of no libraries." Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth
Catalog