Re: junk mail DVD-debt collection scam? Diane Westerfield 08 Aug 2011 16:13 UTC

Thanks everybody for your responses.  Another librarian called the debt collection agency this morning, and they claim they have no record of the charge. Seems pretty shady. I'm letting our director and business office people know about this.

Appreciatively,

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College
diane.westerfield@coloradocollege.edu
(719) 389-6661
(719) 389-6082 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Mark M England
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2011 10:47 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] junk mail DVD-debt collection scam?

See: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/fraudschemes/othertypes/UnsolicitedFraud.aspx

According to Title 39, United States Code, Section 3009, the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970:

"If you do not wish to pay for unsolicited merchandise ... you may do one of three things (in each case, by law, you have no obligation to the sender):

    If you have not opened the package, you may mark it "Return to Sender," and the Postal Service will return it with no additional postage charged to you.

    If you open the package and don't like what you find, you may throw it away.

    If you open the package and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.

Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.

If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements demanding payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector."