Re: [SERIALIST] Serials Bibliographic Records Steven C Shadle 22 Nov 2011 16:07 UTC

The reason for the discrepency is that MARC21 defines subfield t in the linking fields (76X-78X) as:

"Title information from subfields $a, $f, $g, $k, $n, and $p of fields 130 (Main Entry - Uniform Title) and 245 (Title Statement) of the related record."

There is no place in MARC21 to put other title information/subtitle in a linking field (and more specifically in a separate subfield in a linking field).  If you are using MARC21, the subtitle should not be in the linking field in any case.

--Steve

Steve Shadle/Serials Access Librarian         shadle@u.washington.edu
NASIG President
University of Washington Libraries              Phone: (206) 685-3983
Seattle, WA 98195-2900                            Fax: (206) 543-0854