Re: vendor question Arlene Sievers-Hill 24 Jan 2012 11:41 UTC

To all:

I have worked in serials, with vendors- EBSCO and Swets - as a head of
serials and acquisitions and currently as a Research Services
Collection Management Officer at Case Western Reserve University
Kelvin Smith Library. I have written and spoken about vendors and
vendor library relations for many years.

My advice is get presentations from Swets, Harrassowitz, both large
full service vendors, and EBSCO as well as perhaps Basch Subscriptions
and Cox, both competent serials vendors. EBSCO will know you are
examining your options and are looking at price.

Any choice you make should be based on service and electronic
interface issues, as well as price.  What is the best serials vendors
for one is not the same as for another college or university library.

You might find your best option is to stay where you are if you are
happy with the service you are getting, and the price differential is
not great, or your service charge is reduced. But getting more
information will help.  What is the cheapest does not mean it will be
cheap if you lose good service as well.  You need to make an informed
decision

I would be glad to discuss this further with you if you wish to email or fax me.

Good Luck!

Arlene Moore Sievers Hill
Research Services Librarian,
Collection Management Officer