Re: Supplying online index information for print serials Rust, Linda O 08 Feb 2012 20:15 UTC

http://cufts2.lib.sfu.ca/MaintTool/public/search

I have found this site very helpful in determining where a journal is indexed. Only the librarians use it, we haven't made it available for students.

Linda Rust
Serials Librarian
Berntsen Library
Northwestern College
St. Paul, MN  55113

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Joelle Hannert
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:57 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Supplying online index information for print serials

I would like to provide information on where online indexes may be found for
our print serials.  They would be so much more useful to our students if
they knew where to go to search within a single periodical.  Ideally, I'd
like to put this information both in the catalog, and as a shelf label on
the boxes that house the journals.  Of course, there are several barriers to
this:

1. Determining where the titles are indexed online.  We get our journals
through EBSCO, which has information available on what EBSCO databases index
each title, but does not cover other databases that we subscribe to.  Does
anyone know of a service that aggregates information on where periodicals
are indexed?  We use Serials Solutions, but they don't seem to offer
indexing information, only full text.

2. Keeping this information up-to-date.  If it changes more often than every
6 months, I don't think it would be worth our time to put that information
out there and update it.

Does anyone have experience with working around these issues?  I'd
appreciate any advice you can provide!

Regards,

Joelle Hannert
Tech Services Coordinator