Re: Philippine Studies Mike saunders 03 Apr 2012 13:33 UTC

If there is a new ISSN, you create a new record. Wait a couple of issues before you do anything to make sure the ISSN has actually changed

Mike Saunders,

Serials Officer,

National Gallery of Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Reynolds, Regina
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:00 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Philippine Studies

Hello Rich,

According to AACR2, ISBD, and the ISSN Manual, only changes in the title proper are considered when deciding if a change in a title is major (requires a new record) or minor (does not require a new record), not changes in other title information. I have just checked the new ISSN in the ISSN Portal and I can see that the new ISSN is from a block of ISSN under the responsibility of the Philippines but that no description for that ISSN has been provided as yet. One possible explanation is that the ISSN center in the Philippines assigned a new ISSN based on incomplete prepublication information, and did not realize the change would be a minor change. It is possible that the new ISSN will be cancelled when the first published issue is received in the ISSN center there. I can communicate with the ISSN center in the Philippines and ask for clarification. In the meantime, I suggest you input the new ISSN in 022 $y.  If it turns out that the new ISSN will stand, it can be moved to 022 $a and the former ISSN be placed in $y.

Best regards,

Regina Romano Reynolds
Head, ISSN Publisher Liaison Section
Director, U.S. ISSN Center