Re: Jobbers (are they still called that?) Arlene Sievers-Hill 04 Apr 2012 11:13 UTC

Dear Karla,

I have been a Serials professional working in public and academic
libraries as well as with serials vendors for many years. I think you
should meet with WT Cox as well as EBSCO.  You might contact Swets
Subscription Service and even Harrassowitz as well for meetings. Basch
Subscription Service is another good agency.  All those aforementioned
are good vendors. Subscription agents in the United State operate
nationwide, rather than regionally.  Most have regional offices, but
there really is no such thing as a vendor who just serves the Midwest.

All of these vendors would be pleased to come to you and explain their
services and prices.  You would end up being much better informed to
make a decision.You are a major public library and the customer is
still king in vendor library relationships.

Meeting with several vendors would give you a lot more information
about the services available and let all know you are in the market
for a vendor and put you in a good position to negotiate favorable
terms.  Inform EBSCO of what you are doing and ask for them to respond
as well and to address problems you have and to review your terms of
service.

By the way, subscription agency and  serials vendor are the most
common terms currently.  everyone understands what a jobber is, but it
isn't much used in common parlance.

Good luck!

Arlene Moore Sievers-Hill
Collection Management Officer