Re: Serial record: our catalog versus the OCLC record Hall, Jack 26 Oct 2012 11:58 UTC

Thanks, Steve. I truly do not believe anybody here used the latest entry record and changed it into successive entry. I have been here longer than we have had the record (dating back to before OCLC even had a format for serials). Only professional catalogers have ever cataloged serials here and we have never used latest entry. . I think the fact that hundreds of libraries have their holdings on the record strongly implies this as well. So many libraries would not have used a latest entry record. I'm convinced the successive entry record in OCLC got changed to latest entry after we used it.

Jack

Jack Hall
Manager of Cataloging Services
Linguistics Librarian
University of Houston Libraries
Houston, TX 77204-2000
phone: 713 743 9687
fax: 713 743 9748
email: jhall@uh.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Steven C Shadle
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:42 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Serial record: our catalog versus the OCLC record

Hi Jack -- In our local catalog, we have a series of successive entry records (and can't speak to what #1782411 looked like previously as we never used it and don't have our holdings attached):

#3262368  1962 to current: Accounting trends & techniques
#7267100  1950 to 1961: Accounting trends and techniques in published corporate annual reports
#8354480  1949: Accounting techniques used in published corporate annual reports
#8354419  1948: Accounting trends in corporate reports
#7267103  1947: Accounting survey of 525 corporate reports

Are you sure you're predecessor didn't export/update the latest entry record decades ago and made it successive entry locally?  Since the successive records weren't authenticated until 1991, I can very easily see hundreds of libraries having their holdings on the LC latest entry records through the decades and never bothering to catch the change.  --Steve

Steve Shadle/Serials Access Librarian         shadle@u.washington.edu
NASIG Past-President
University of Washington Libraries              Phone: (206) 685-3983
Seattle, WA 98195-2900                            Fax: (206) 543-0854

* For additional information, see  the SERIALST Scope, Purpose and Usage Guidelines <http://www.uvm.edu/~bmaclenn/serialst.html>