database access change Lynne Weaver (11 Apr 2013 13:34 UTC)
Re: database access change Kelsie Crawford (11 Apr 2013 14:10 UTC)
Re: database access change Lawless, Jane (11 Apr 2013 14:14 UTC)
Re: database access change Diane Westerfield (11 Apr 2013 15:48 UTC)
Re: database access change Cole, Louise (11 Apr 2013 15:58 UTC)
Re: database access change Sarah D Tusa (11 Apr 2013 16:08 UTC)
Re: database access change Judith Koveleskie (11 Apr 2013 16:22 UTC)
Re: database access change Sarah D Tusa (11 Apr 2013 16:58 UTC)
Re: database access change van Sickle, Jennifer (11 Apr 2013 19:46 UTC)
Re: database access change Hulbert, Linda A. (11 Apr 2013 16:16 UTC)
Re: database access change Andrea Imre (11 Apr 2013 17:05 UTC)

Re: database access change Hulbert, Linda A. 11 Apr 2013 16:16 UTC

We operate that way too. I have encouraged our selectors to keep subscriptions to the most needed items even if they are in an aggregator and we are discarding  bound volumes for only the most trusted sources (JSTOR and ACS having purchased that backfile). Highwire is getting to that point too.

But the larger question is the relationship between Harvard and EBSCO (the former feeling more like one of the predatory publishers, than an educational academic institution...at least titularly).

We have the print. The print has crazy rules unlike any other journal.  We're assuming the 500 are not random and not by year but by how much money Harvard makes by selling the content. This medium sized institution (fewer than 10,000FTE but with a college of Business) spends 10s of thousands of dollars on copyright with Harvard, Inc.

Are libraries and universities the primary purchasers of their content - or is industry? If it is us and we continue to accept this, then shame on us. If it's a broader community than us, and I'm guessing it is, then they can continue to snub their noses at us and we're stuck accepting these rules. And if these are the most highly used and most lucrative articles, then be prepared for the storm from our users. Wouldn't it be nice if our faculty could choose alternative publications. I think we should let them know.

I think I'll work on a blog!

Linda
Linda Hulbert, Associate Director
        Collection Management and Services
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library #5004
University of Saint Thomas
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105
Phone: (651) 962-5016         Fax: (651) 962-5486        email: lahulbert@stthomas.edu
Explore the university institutional repository UST Research Online