Authority work - is it still necessary? Elena Romaniuk (25 Jul 2014 22:48 UTC)
Re: Authority work - is it still necessary? Mark K. Ehlert (25 Jul 2014 23:19 UTC)
Re: Authority work - is it still necessary? Elena Romaniuk (26 Jul 2014 03:20 UTC)
Re: Authority work - is it still necessary? Steve Oberg (28 Jul 2014 13:44 UTC)
Re: Authority work - is it still necessary? Cook, Eleanor (28 Jul 2014 14:46 UTC)
Re: Authority work - is it still necessary? Susan Moore (26 Jul 2014 00:07 UTC)
Re: Authority work - is it still necessary? Stokes, Judith E. (26 Jul 2014 02:37 UTC)

Re: Authority work - is it still necessary? Stokes, Judith E. 26 Jul 2014 02:37 UTC

Authority work  is more necessary than ever before, and increasingly more important as information sources multiply and diversify.

(1) Catalogs are growing (our consortium catalog already includes 9 academic libraries and many more special libraries, plus which our statewide catalog project will inevitably produce as much chaos as convenience.) The longer the results list the more that is hidden when variations are not logically linked.

(2) Discovery services provide plenty of that wonderful serendipity that occurs when all metadata sources are exploited as fully as possible. Catalogs should not compete with discovery services, but supplement them by providing the best standardization and uniformity the library community can provide.

Just my opinion,

Judith E. Stokes
Electronic Resources Librarian
James P. Adams Library Room 203