Re: Latest/earliest/successive entry cataloging for serials Birdie MacLennan 07 Nov 1990 15:09 UTC

On Tue, 6 Nov 90 17:29:00 CST Alice F. Permenter said:
Date:         Wed, 07 Nov 90 09:23:56 EST
From:         Birdie MacLennan <BMACLENN@UVMVM>
Subject:      Re: Latest/earliest/successive entry cataloging for serials
To:           "SERIALST: SERIALS in libraries - A user discussion group"
 <SERIALST@UVMVM>
On Tue, 6 Nov 90 17:29:00 CST Alice F. Permenter said:
>I favor latest entry cataloging for serials.  Not because I think it's a
>better way to catalog serials, but because that's the national standard
>right now.

According to rule 21.2C1 (AACR2 2nd ed. 1988 rev.), *successive*
entry cataloging is currently the standard: "If the title proper
of a serial changes, make a separate main entry for each title."
At the University of Vermont, we generally follow this standard while
looking to the guidelines in 21.2A1 for what constitutes a title change.
There have been times, however, (I'm thinking of various IEEE titles where
the corporate or conference name stays the same, but the title proper changes,
and sometimes only *slightly* changes) so that we have felt that
latest entry cataloging would be more useful to our patrons, as well as
taking up less space in our indexes.  For these reasons, I have been
considering the idea of developing some guidelines for local use of
latest entry cataloging.  I would be curious to see the guidelines used
by Northwestern.  Have they been published somewhere (I thought I read
that they were published in the Serials Librarian after being presented
at a NASIG Conference)?

Birdie MacLennan
Serials Cataloger
University of Vermont