Cataloging of CD-ROM titles Jean Farrington 07 Dec 1990 15:00 UTC

This
This was inadvertently sent to NOTISACQ list first.  Sorry.

------- Forwarded message

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 90 08:47:01 -0500
From: "Jean Farrington" <"farrington%Organization=Van Pelt
 Library%Telephone=898-7563"@a1.relay>
To: notisacq@ulkyvm.bitnet.in
Subject: Cataloging of CD-ROM titles

Regarding CD-ROM titles, we catalog them on RLIN using the MRDF format.  On
NOTIS we create OPR records and include notes on which discs must be
returned and which are kept indefinitely.  One problem with the MRDF format
is that there is not a fixed field equivalent of the S/T so that it is not
possible to get the receipt lines in the OPR to display to the public.
Hence we are doing both a receipt line in the OPR and updating our summary
information in the VHLD.  By doing this, the patrons also see what the
latest disc is.

                                Jean Farrington
                                Head of Serials
                                Univ. of Pennsylvania