Re: Serial Analytics and Bound Withs Joyce Gartrell 08 Jan 1991 13:24 UTC

> I have already posted this message to NOTIS-L but received very little
 response,
>  so,
> so I thought I would send it out on SERIALST (perhaps where I should have
>  startede
> d in the first place).
>
> How do other NOTIS libraries handle the barcoding, item records and
 circulation
> information for a) serial analytics, and b) bound withs, including both title
> changes bound together and unrelated titles bound together?  We are currently
> discussing how to barcode these items and also which bibliographic record to
> attach the item records to and would appreciate hearing of the experiences/
> solutions of other NOTIS sites.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Shirley Coleman, Serials Catalog Librarian
> Catalog Department
> Room 370, Stewart Center
> Purdue University
> West Lafayette, IN
>
> e-mail: shirley@asterix.lib.purdue.edu

Columbia's solution to the serial analytic and bound with situations
was discussed ad nauseum, and we finally decided, in the case of serial
analytics, to attach the circulation information to the analytic record
as our Public Services people told us that is what the staff (mostly
students) at the desk would call up.  If a serial is only partially
analyzed, then the item record is attached to the serial record, even
for the analyzed volume.  In the case of bound withs, we don't have a
very satisfactory resolution, but it is the one we're going with for
the time being.  We attach the item record to the record for the first
title in the volume, and have a vague note on the records for the other
titles referring back to the first title for circulation info.  We
considered putting a barcode in for each title, but decided it was just
too much "wanding" for circulation staff both at check out and check in
time.  We're still working on the verbiage for that vague note.  We try
not to bind title changes together, but even in this instance, we would
handle it the same way.  We bind most of our analytics separately, so
the problem only comes up when the pieces are of only a few pages, and
a group must be bound together.  Hope this helps.

Joyce Gartrell
Head, Serials Cataloging
Columbia University Libraries
N.Y.C.