Usenet, Listserv, and E-Journals BMACLENN@UVMVM.BITNET 08 Dec 1991 04:56 UTC

Discussion on this topic has been heating up on Lstown-l (discussion
forum for listowners).  Below are two messages (72 lines) that I thought
might be of interest to SERIALST readers.  -- Birdie

Date:         Sat, 7 Dec 1991 20:22:48 EST
From:         "A. Ralph Papakhian" <PAPAKHI@IUBVM.BITNET>
Subject:      Re: Request for Subscribership Data on Bitnet Lists
To:           Multiple recipients of list LSTOWN-L <LSTOWN-L@INDYCMS>

On Sat, 7 Dec 1991 15:25:58 CST George D. Greenwade said:
>Eric's gonna shoot me on this, but....  I agree with Stevan that a very
>real issue of method of distribution (i.e., the usenet model or the mailing
>list model) is something to consider for multi-part, multi-media electronic
>scholarly periodicals/distributions.  This is something which needs to be
>investigated now, while the media use is still in its embryonic/infancy
>stages.
.............<rest deleted>

The above comment is very important.  It is unlikely that electronic
SCHOLARLY PERIODICALS/DISTRIBUTIONS WILL BE VIA EITHER LISTSERV OR USENET
as we know them now.  Just in the past month or so OCLC has announced
the availability of medical journal via the internet.  But it is by
paid subscription and the avenue of distribution is neither LISTSERV
nor USENET.
Hanard's efforts at free distribution are certainly laudable (from
my old Trotskyist attitudes anyway), but unlikely to continue as the
claws of capitalism and the free market grab on to the bitnet/internet.

Cordially,
A. Ralph Papakhian, Music Library (Co-Listowner for MLA-L@IUBVM)
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
(812) 855-2970  papakhi@iubvm.bitnet papakhi@iubvm.ucs.indiana.edu
======================================================================== 48
Date:         Sat, 7 Dec 1991 20:36:23 EST
From:         "A. Ralph Papakhian" <PAPAKHI@IUBVM.BITNET>
To:           Multiple recipients of list LSTOWN-L <LSTOWN-L@INDYCMS>
              7 Dec 1991 15:46:10 EST from <harnad@PRINCETON.EDU>

On Sat, 7 Dec 1991 15:46:10 EST Stevan Harnad said:
...text deleted

>In short, let's be careful not to prejudge the big question -- (L)
>direct individual email distribution, which is like a private paper
>mail subscription, vs. (U) bundled distribution to sites where
>individuals can then "tune in" at will, which is like a public
>electronic library -- based on trivial current software differences
>that can easily be remedied (otherwise I would have to add that
>Listserv is currently married to the horrible, unfriendly, IBM/cms/vms
>software, whereas Usenet is largely happy, friendly unix).

PLEASE DON'T BRING IN THE OPERATING SYSTEM STUFF.  THIS IS NOT THE
RIGHT FORUM TO DISCUSS VM/CMS UNIX, ETC.

The main distinction being made above is also not quite accurate
regarding the difference between private subscription and the
"library" model since  Usenet indeed allows selection of groups
monitored.  But there is some significance to the distinction and
one that I would suggest should be included in our future
e-journal Nirvana.  There are those journals one subscribes to
because you want them to hit you in the face as soon as they
come out, and there are those others which you will scan by means
of table of contents distribution, walking over to the library
(shudder the thought), and so forth.

The first might cost money as it now does (money directly as
in writing a check), the second costs money as in some one or
some body picking up the overhead.  Both become interesting as
e-journal distribution becomes commercial!!!