Serials With Separate Sections Birdie MacLennan 15 Jan 1992 16:10 UTC

2 messages, 59 lines:
-----------------------

Date:         Wed, 15 Jan 1992 08:37:00 GMT
From:         "John Radencich,
              Library Cataloging Dept." <RADENCIC@SERVAX.BITNET>
Subject:      Serials with Sections

Generally we make a note, with added entry for the section title.  If the
section has its own numbering, this also is recorded.  However, this mainly
applies to sections with their own page numbering.  Sections with page
numbering integrated into the numbering of the journal (unless they have
their own vol. numbering) usually will not be noted.  Exceptions will be
sections that previously were separate journals and were absorbed by the
journal it is a section of.  Generally will say something along the line of:
"Absorbed by and continued as a section of ... "  The absorbing journal will
also have a corresponding note.

The situation gets complicated when these sections do not appear in every
issue.  You hope this occurs in a regular pattern which can be easily
explained.  It actually sometimes happens.

John Radencich
Florida International University
Miami, Florida 33199
RADENCIC@SERVAX (BITNET)
RADENCIC@SERVAX.FIU.EDU (INTERNET)

Date:         Wed, 15 Jan 1992 09:16:00 CST
From:         ERCELAA@VUCTRVAX.BITNET
Subject:      Re: Serials with separate sections

Our treatment of serials with separate section titles is identical
to Northwestern's described by Kevin Randall. We provide access to
the section titles on the bibliographic record for the main title but
make no attempt to account for separate holdings. I would only use
a separate record for the section title in the event that my library
were to subscribe only to the section title, not the main title.
Multiple numbering schemes are indeed a pain! Publishers, take note!
/ Ann Ercelawn                       /            Bitnet:             /
/ Serials Librarian                  /       ERCELAA@VUCTRVAX         /
/ General Technical Services         /           Internet:            /
/ Vanderbilt University              /  ercelaa@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu /
/ Nashville, TN                      /      Phone: (615) 322-2409     /