UCSD Position Announcement Marcia Tuttle 11 Feb 1992 18:51 UTC

Date:         Tue, 11 Feb 1992 07:46:23 PST
From:         George Janczyn <janczyn%nowalls.ucsd.edu@SDSC>
Subject:      UCSD Position Announcement

Below is a description of a Library Catalog Department position
opening at the University of California, San Diego.  Please do
not send applications to me.  The description below gives full
instructions.

George J. Janczyn
UC San Diego
janczyn@nowalls.ucsd.edu

Head, Serials Cataloging Section, Catalog Department, Central
University Library, University of California, San Diego. Rank:
Assistant Librarian, $26,668 - $36,696 or Associate Librarian I -
IV, $35,052 - $41,160. UCSD is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action employer and specifically seeks candidates who can make
contributions in an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity.
Responsibilities: The Serials Section Head will provide
management, leadership, supervision, and staff development for
members of the Serials Section as well as perform original
serials cataloging. This individual will be responsible for
planning and directing the activities of the Serials Section and
will actively participate as a member of the Department's
management team, reporting directly to the Catalog Department
Head.  We seek a person with excellent communication and
interpersonal skills, someone to facilitate innovative approaches
to processing in our online environemnt to expedite availability
of materials, and someone to serve as the serials cataloging
resource person for the UCSD Libraries.  UCSD librarians are
expected to participate in librarywide activities and to be
active professionally. Qualifications: Required: MLS degree,
demonstrated successful leadership experience, effective
communication skills, cataloging experience. Preferred: Knowledge
of any foreign language, OCLC experience, experience working in
an online environment, awareness of national and international
trends in cataloging and bibliographic control, demonstrated
organizational abilities, initiative, strong interpersonal
skills, and flexibility. Appointment at the Associate rank
requires substantial relevant experience. Applications received
by 3/31/92 will be assured of consideration. To apply send a
resume, cover letter, and list of three references to: University
of California, San Diego, Janet Tait, Academic Personnel
Coordinator, Library Personnel, 0175H-13, 9500 Gilman Dr., La
Jolla, CA  92093-0175.