More on predictive pattern data ERCELAA@VUCTRVAX.BITNET 18 Mar 1992 22:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1992 13:51:26 CST
From: GGILLESP@UKANVM.BITNET
Subject: RE: More on predictive-pattern data

This is a late answer to Bob Persing's Jan. 21st question re:  "Has anyone out
there been maintaining detailed caption information long enough to judge the
value of this time spent?"

Yes, the University of Kansas has been maintaining detailed caption and
freqency change information on the 853s since Jan. 1987.  Even though it's
a lot of work, it gives invaluable information that we weren't able to track
on our old serials system but really needed to have.  Being able to track
this caption- and frequency-change information has been beneficial in three
areas:  individual issue record/next-issue prediction, claims, and binding.

It has been invaluable in verifying actual frequency changes and thier
duration (which affect at least two things:  predictive factor for automatic
corrections to and creation of next expected individual issue records; and
correction of expected dates in the individual issue records, which interact
with the delay periods in the claims module so that incorrect claims are
stopped and correct claims can go forward).

It has also been invaluable in the binding process: (1) one can tell from
the 853 patterns/changes and issue records what captions go with what
volumes/issues and (2) the pattern of frequency changes help define which
issues will be bound together in each physical volume.

This is just a short summary; if you would like more information, please
contact me via the phone/e-mail address below.  We are *not* a NOTIS site.

E. Gaele Gillespie / Asst. Head, Serials     University of Kansas Libraries
(913)864-3535   e-mail: GGILLESP@UKANVM.BITNET   Lawrence, KS  66045-2800