Vendor Service Charges Birdie MacLennan 10 Apr 1992 17:23 UTC

2 messages, 28 lines:
------------------------

Date:         Fri, 10 Apr 1992 09:51:49 EDT
From:         "Jane L. Thompson" <jlt@NLM.NIH.GOV>
Subject:      Re: AQUEDUCT ACTION AGENDA

You can begin by asking your vendor exactly how do they bill their service
charges; sometimes a service fee is built into the subcription price of a
particular journal, and a separate service charge shows up as part of the
total invoice in addition. I would advise talking with the vendor, before
making any assumptions. Letting them know that you are concerned about how
your money is spent, and what you are paying for makes sense to any business
person.
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 35
Date:         Fri, 10 Apr 1992 09:56:23 EDT
From:         Susan Davis <UNLSDB@UBVM.BITNET>

**My interpretation of this point, is that libraries are responsible
to verify that the service charges on invoices are indeed what the
library has been quoted, agreed to contractually, or conform to that
particular vendor's service charge policy (ie, some vendors charge a flat
percentage to all their customers).  It has been reported that vendors
may not keep to their service charge agreements, and the only way for
the library to verify the charges is to check the service charge amounts
billed on invoices.  October Ivins has advocated this practice, if not in
print, at various forums.  Susan Davis/University at Buffalo