E-JOURNALS AND COPYRIGHT (ANITA GORDON-GILMORE) Marcia Tuttle 16 Apr 1992 01:37 UTC

 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Date:         Wed, 15 Apr 1992 16:33:00 CDT
From:         Anita Gordon-Gilmore <GILMORE@KSUVM>
Subject:      e-journals and copyright

         I'm finally reading some discussions about methods
of archiving e-journals.  I had advocated this for some
time, locally, but thought I must be missing a basic
point, as I didn't run across the topic elsewhere.
         Locally, we have considered archiving e-journals
on tape (long-term) and/or diskette or cassette for
quick access.  Though most e-journals support their own
archives, time and telecommunications costs caused us
to look at local storage.  Printing and binding is not
an option, mostly because we are out of room (though we
have considered pitching tents on the roof.... Never
mind).
         Currently, we are testing the water with no-cost
titles available on the Net.  These show no copyright
restrictions which would keep us from copying files for
patrons, making multiple archival copies, or loaning,
or ...
         If anyone has had experience with commercial
e-journals, I would like to know how those copyright
statements are worded.  I would like to know individual
interpretations and insights, too!

Anita Gordon-Gilmore
Serials Librarian
Fort Hays State University