Re; Description based on notes (Christie Degener) Marcia Tuttle 22 Jul 1992 14:16 UTC

 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
Date:         Wed, 22 Jul 1992 09:04:35 EDT
From:         Christie Degener <cdegener@MED.UNC.EDU>
Subject:      Re; Description based on notes

I want to echo earlier messages and express my enthusiastic support
for the use of these notes, especially for serials cataloging.  When I
teach serials cataloging, I emphasize the use of these notes to put
the cataloging record in context, since so many of the descriptive
details can change over time or from one issue to the next.  I also
wanted to address the concern mentioned in the original message, that
these messages might be confusing to the public.  I believe any
confusion is minimized by the placement of these notes as outlined
in AACR(r); description based on notes are at the end of all the
note information coded in 500 fields.  (Given the order for notes
outlined in AACR(r), I am a little dismayed at the number of
records that lump source of title notes and description based on notes
in the same field, but that's another topic!)  We also edit or delete
out description based on notes to fit our local holdings.

Christie Degener
Serials Librarian, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina
  at Chapel Hill
cdegener@med.unc.edu